Need advice to protect sliding window from thieves.

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Quite possibly, yes. Especially if there's a house on the same street with unsecured (or unlocked) windows or doors.

As was pointed out by someone else, you can put screws in the upper track to prevent this while the window is closed.
It's never possible to have a completely secure home. The more secure your home is, though, the less likely it is to be targeted by a burglar. Burglars like homes that are easy to get into, have some valuables, and can be accessed undetected.
You don't lift it out of it's track, you lift the track out of the frame. Very complicated stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

If the track is properly secured in place, it's not likely that a burglar would remove the entire window (or door) to gain entry. It's simply too much work.
Sam Nickaby wrote:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did "&product_id79&fromgoogle=yes
although you can make your own.
Buy that! And when the burglar shows up with this:
http://tinyurl.com/p84al
He will then dislodge your door off the plastic channel guides within seconds
BUGSEY wrote:

I have two styles of aluminum windows/sliding doors in my house. Vertical and horizontal. On the horizontal ones, I cut a piece of rebar long enough to allow me to keep the windows open yet prevent anyone from crawling through. I lay this down in the lower track of the window unit. When I want to open the window more, I have a magnet on one of the mounting screws and the rebar just attaches to that, vertically. The rebar is small enough and blends in with the color of the window so it works for me. The same could be done for vertical openings I suppose but I haven't done them yet.
I did like the idea of putting screws above the sliding door to prevent the door from being lifted out. I'm hoping to trash the damn thing anyway and put in patio doors but I'll have to remember that one. Cheers, cc
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Learned that one in Massachusetts after being burglarized about 30 years ago. One of the first security-related things I've done in every new house since then.
Jerry

One advice that hasn't been mentioned is similar to putting a couple of screws in the top track. Just slide a good fit piece of wood on the top track that'll cover the whole sliding window. The hard part is finding the perfect size wood. A renter lady on the bad part of town told me this.