Need advice to protect sliding window from thieves.

Page 1 of 2
We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will lock automatically.
The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows from thieves?
Thanks
Sam Nickaby wrote:

What your neighbor did. It's the simplest, surest way and doesn't require window modifications. Paint the stick white and you'll never notice it.

And add Velcro to it so it's harder to lift off.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

True.
Yes, but thieves usually don't want to break glass to gain entry. Try breaking a window and then climbing in, and you'll realize why.
The simplest solution for a sliding window is just to put a bar in the window (a cheap dowel will do) that keeps the window solidly closed.
It's also possible to get security films for glass that make it very resistant to breakage.
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Hmmm, Alarm system with motion sensor? Still not 100% but good deterrant.
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Are these horizontal sliders or vertical? If they slide horizontally, there is one more thing you can do. Slide the window all the way open and put a couple of screws in the top track, driving them far enough in that the window will clear the screw heads when you close the window. This way, when the window is closed and latched, it is very difficult to lift the window up out of the track - the only way you can lift it out of the track is to open it first.
Hope this helps, Jerry
Set up a shotgun with a vibration sensor to go off when the thief breaks the glass. Thieves are not concerned about breaking glass, doesn't matter which way your door slides, or even if it slides at all.
Police frown on boobie traps. Is considered pre-meditated. You'd be in more trouble than the guy you shot. Just my thoughts. Wayne

Hard to tell and doesn't matter if they frown I've spent the last 10 hours doing errands around the city I haven't seen a cop for a week Why not just leave your door unlocked That way you won't have to pay for the broken glass.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

All this does is make your home a very easy target. The easiest way to prevent a break- in is to make your home less attractive to a thief than other homes nearby. Most theives will pick the easiest target available.

True, sliding glass doors are a golden invitation and take seconds to dislodge, even with a cleverly painted dowel stuck in the channel. Try putting something called a door with something called a frame.

It's got nothing to do with the police. It's the judges and lawyers that decide this stuff. Setting up booby traps will land you with a murder charge should you kill a burgler, ridiculous as it sounds.
a innocent kid bounces a ball against your window, and dies. you spend the remainder of your life in the slammer....
The shotgun could be set-up so that it only blows away someone say within 2 feet of the glass That way the kid bouncing balls off your house would be out of range and wouldn't get his balls blown off!

Until he comes to pick up the ball...

BUGSEY made the killfile;his "advice" is worthless,illegal,and very dangerous.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So are police chases, but does that stop innocent people who get in the way from getting killed? The police know that to get your man is everything. Of course when that kid bends over to pick-up his ball there is always the chance of "collateral damage".
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Theives will do their best to avoid breaking glass, because it's more work than just sliding a window open, and increases the chances of detection and injury.

Does that mean that when the burglar arrives at your humble adobe and sees that dowel you put there he'll turn around an go back home? Me thinks he'll break your glass. A gentleman thief would first duct tape your glass so the pieces won't fall to the ground and less noise. In fact a pry bar will suffice to lift the sliding door out of it's channel.