Need advice on tack-board

Hey there,
I've been thinking about putting up a big floor-to-ceiling tack-board to hang the kids artwork on. The other day, when swimming at the YMCA, I saw a bunch of these big tack-boards that looked like they would be perfect. Basically just a 4'x8' piece of board, sometimes covered with fabric to make it look nicer. My question is - what is the material and where can I get it? It didn't seem like just plain cork - and when I searched the Lowes and Home Depot sites, I couldn't find anything appropriate when searching for cork or tack board.
I could find large framed tack-boards for sale on-line, but I'm hoping there's a relatively inexpensive (< $50) DIYsolution - and something that I could easily get the materials for at the local lumber-yard or big-box DIY store. Also, I don't want a framed product because I'd need to trim the size anyway.
Thanks for any advice.
-J
Add pictures here
✖

Homosote, which is sold in 4x8 foot sheets might be a possibility. It's made from recycled newspapers.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 17, 9:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Per Sa's comment Homosote is often used BUT the push pin holding abilty is not great BTDT. :( And will fail to hold pins over the longterm since Homosote is not "self-healing".
The best is cork sheeting but it's nowhere near was cheap. :(
I made one using 3/8" cork sheet over 3/8" plywood..the cork is decent looking & (IMO) needs no covering. Thicker 1/2" is about 50% more $'s...1/4" is probably too thin.
McMaster 4x8 x3/8" is ~$90 ....shipping?
maybe you can find it cheaper locally
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
JJ wrote:

What they may used is a fabric covered acoustic panel. These work well as tack boards. One of the many that are available is
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/fabric_panel/fpswallp.htm?d=4
Boden
Add pictures here
✖