Necessary to cover top of central AC intake in winter?

Page 3 of 3
On 1/17/2012 8:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:

next thing you know, they'll be putting yuppified quick couplings on them and carrying them into the garage in the winter.
--
Steve Barker

We'd get mighty cold in the Winter. ;-)
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:49:58 -0600, Steve Barker

Absolutely. Now I know how to get rich. This will be the successor to the weedwacker. and the McDonalds clamshell. (That's how Huntsman's father made his money, iirc)

You are really stretching here...

The plywood and bungee cords are stored under my deck, within 15' of the condenser. Getting it "out of storage" is really no big deal.

"bungee cords *and* turnbuckles"? Come on!
2 bungees, a total of 4 hooks. How much trouble is that?

Rarely if ever, in my neck of the woods, do we get swings of that range. Once it's covered, it's not used until the next spring. If we get a January thaw (which would never reach 82 anyway) I can live without the AC for a day or two or more. Even if I wanted to uncover it, once again, it's only 2 bungee cords.

Just above my condenser is a disconnect box. Before I clean and cover the condenser in the fall, I remove the disconnect plunger and insert it in the OFF position. I couldn't turn on the condenser unless I reach over the covered condenser, open the disconnect box and remove and reinsert the plunger. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to notice the plywood and bungee cords.

Covering the top of condensers during our long hard winters is pretty common in my area.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

So is government by Democrats (NY), but that doesn't make it right.

Nor does it make it wrong.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:24:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Because if it is completely covered, condensation can form under the cover and speed corrosion. I'd just cover the top to keep leaves and dirt out.

Why would there be any condensation (inside)? The temperature of the metal will track the outside air pretty quickly.

In both cases we mentioned covering *only* the top.
On 1/17/2012 9:31 AM, Name Classified wrote:

Those people are the same nutcakes that put cutesy little sweaters and booties on their dogs when they take them for a walk. Don't cover your AC/condenser unless you want people to think you're a nutcake too.
Bernt Berger wrote:

You bring up a good point. I wonder...
Would it be practical to crochet a cutsie condensing-unit cozy?
On the other hand, "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" (title of a book by Richard P. Feynman, Nobel Prize, Physics, 1965).
On 1/17/2012 9:48 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Yah or if you don't know how to knit, maybe just put a Snuggie on it?
Bernt Berger wrote:

Hmmm, Manufacturer, in my case Carrier must be nutcake. Custom fit cover was included in the system installation kit, very well made thick Tyvec fabric kind.

Does it cover the entire unit or just the top or go just part way down the sides? If they cover the whole thing, then I'd say they are nuts, as well as way overpriced compared to similar eqpt. I'd want some airflow under the cover to prevent moisture accumulating.

Hi, It has a big Carrier logo on the top and slip over all sides leaving about a foot from bottom exposing service access, wiring entry, etc. Feels like thin cushion. In winter I use it to keep snow flakes, leaves out keeping power applied to it.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:44:27 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

When mine were starting to rust, I removed them and painted them with aerosol car paint to match part of my house. Mink Brown iirc. I also painted the AC electric box on the side of the house,and the box around the electric meter. They all looked great.