NATO Gas Cans: Behavior In A Fire?

Page 2 of 2

Where I worked a lot of spray cans were used. They were full of silicon and propelent. When a process line was started melted plastic (polyester) came out of a hole about an inch in diameter and down a shoot about 4 inches wide. The plastic was pulled off in long slabs about 4 feet long and put in metel buggies. People would sometimes toss the cans in that buggie. The plastic was about 250 deg C. The cans would heat up and explode. The full cans would make the biggest explosion No fire was involved. I tried to stay out of that area when that was going on.
To: Gil On 12/8/2014 12:14 AM, Gil wrote:

A couple decades ago, another idiot ^h^h^h^h^h fellow and I did spray cans on a fire at the county park. It was a stone structure with walls, so we didn't figure to be much risk of shrapnel. I refused to do pesticides. We did stuff like carb cleaner, ether. The loudest bang was a mostly empty can of ether car starting spray. I'd not do that again, any time in my life, far too dangerous.
P.S. Used to be a volunteer fire fighter. Still have a lot of the mindset and point of view.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

Never had that happen in my experience. Usually treat a shed as a loss from the get go. No sense in a major attack as there are no life safety issues. Presuming paint, gaz, insecticides, fromumuda cheese inside. Some sheds could be knocked apart just by a good blast from the nozzle.
--
Tekkie

Per Tekkie®:

I feel better hearing that.... and it makes sense.
--
Pete Cresswell