Naive consumer

I guess everybody else knew not to do this, but I learned the hard way. Needed a new answering machine (actually didn't; just wanted one with more room for incoming message). Looked on-line; found most recommendations for low-end AT&T model, just what I wanted.

Ordered it from a place called "On-Line Fulfillment". $37.95,"free" shipping. When it arrived, was defective. Called them for a return shipping label.

Hah! That's how they get suckers like me.

  1. They will deduct their original shipping cost

  1. Plus they deduct 15% for return.

  2. I pay return shipping - .++ plus hassle of repacking.

Will end up, if lucky, with the same amount that AT&T charges on their site - $19.95! Live and learn...

Looked around the Web, found that this is one of a number of such enterprises in an industrial-looking area of NY? or was it NJ? . Manufacturer outsources ordering/shipping to these outfits -- tons of them.

Phone # 866-537-7084. But a little more looking found a real business address in New York.

SPECIALTY RETAIL ST $37.95 Doing Business As: FACTORYOUTLETSTORE

Merchant Address: 1410 BROADWAY NEW YORK NY 10018

I sent these goniffs a letter promising to lose them as much business as possible.

Live & learn. Why the hell didn't I just go to Best Buy for the damn thing!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"Higgs Boson" wrote

Sounds like you should call the credit card company and have then hold the charges. You should not have to pay 15% restocking fee for defective products.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Let me guess that there is more here to the story. I would suspect that they offered to exchange the defective one, but he instead wants his money back. That's the only situation where the above charges make sense. If you return an item and want your money back, it's not unusual to have a restocking fee.

If they are demanding the 15% just to swap it for an identical working one, then I would contact the credit card company and dispute it. As far as having to pay for the shipping to get it back to them, that is typical. It's rare for any merchant to also pay for that.

Reply to
trader4

Agreed. Just think on the two characteristics: 1) Defective device, 2) Restocking fee.

Are they REALLY going to put a defective unit back on the shelf?

Reply to
HeyBub

Usually you only get stuck with a restocking fee if you return something for a refund but do not pay in returning a defective item for a good one. I'd dispute the charge to my credit card company and the supplier.

Reply to
Frank

Just noticed, you mention Best Buy. They are notorious for charging a restocking fee for returned items. Last place I would buy.

Reply to
Frank

Why not? They can sell the same product hundreds of times. The Shipping and handling charges are probably more than the actual shipping costs. They can make a profit just on the S&H costs for returned items Handling charges are bullshit and just add to the total price. If you buy something in a brick and mortar store, do they charge extra for the guy to go back and find the item on a rack somewhere?

I buy almost everything from Amazon, and check there first when buying something. Their return policy is a good as anyone elses. Besides, I am a Prime member, which means shipping is free on anything Amazon stocks, or from any outside vendor that has agreed with Amazon to offer Prime shipping. That last list is growing.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote the following:

I'm sorry. For Prime members, 2 day shipping is free. If you want 1 day shipping, the shipping charge is $3.99.

Reply to
willshak

SNIP

I also got screwed by best Buy.Several years ago. Bought a cell phone set up. They set it so ALL calls would have a long distance charge. They would not correct it. WW

Reply to
WW

In the future you should always make one of the first places you look

They often have the same or lower prices as anyplace else. For $80 a year you can "join - Amazon Prime" and then get free shipping on a lot of the stuff they sell. they have excellent return policies too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Again, live & learn. My former partner used to work for them and was always plugging them. I didn't know about the rap on BB for restocking.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Or better yet, stop by Goodwill, Salvation Army, or your nearest garage sale. That is where my last 3 answering machines came from. I never pay more than five bucks, and got 5 years plus out of each before they went brain-dead. Most owners apparently don't understand you have to replace the backup batteries every year or two.

IMHO, anybody that pays 80 bucks for a deluxe Amazon membership deserves to lose the money. All those portal sites do is take a cut off the top, and the prices are often higher than on the actual web site, in my experience. If you know the brand and model, look directly on the company's web site, or do a straight Google search.

Reply to
aemeijers

I didn't know!

Re: thrift shops, yer talkin' to a hard core thrift shopper! Guess I didn't think of them for an ans. machine.

I did get the most gorgeous high end Harmon Kardon stereo for minor bux at one of the better thrift shops, and previously at that same shop, a pristine 6-head video cassette player.

Am routing the sound on my new Panasonic TV through the stereo; much better! Funny how the TV is full of bells & whistles that I'll probably never use, but still has the same shitty little speakers like most TVs.

[...] HB
Reply to
Higgs Boson