nails or screws?

Hi
I am going to use this type of siding for my front
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/lp-smartside-3-8-inch-4-feet-x-8-feet-8-inch-oc-panel/935905
I am not sure what is the best way to install it, should I use nails or screws? what type? what size?
I am thinking for 8x3 deck screw?
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/8x3-green-deck-screws-1-500-pieces/957466
Do I need special tool? like nail gun etc or it can be done manually?
Thanks a lot.
On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:36:31 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

I would get one of those black Makita LiON drill/drivers. It comes with 2 batteries and a quick charger for about $70.
leza wang wrote:

Whatrever you use, don't forget to make sure the siding has some ability to move. For example. it can expand and shrink when cold or hot. Don't drive the nail or screw TOO tight.

You say you are thinking of using deck screws and then ask if you need nail gun. You do know that a nail gun is for nails, not screws, right?
Assuming you are going to use screws, there's no way you want to it "manually". You want a powered driver like you asked for in your other thread. However, the screw heads will be more visible than nails. I've used screws with Smart Side and they definitely show more than nails would.
Nails can certainly be done manually - it's been done that way for centuries - but you might want to consider renting a nail gun.
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:44:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

nail gun.. No less than every 18 inches. Twice that won't hurt, but not required with the glue.
On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:36:31 AM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but when I have a new product I'm not familiar with, I read the manufacturer's installation instructions....
http://www.lpcorp.com/smartside/lap/resources/
They talk about using nails, no mention of screws. I would think the issue with screws would be they take more work, cost more, are more difficult to hide and don't offer any compelling advantage. There is also a lot more there about how it to correctly install it besides fastening.

Naturally when I think siding, screws do not even register in my head. I don't remember anyone doing siding job wielding drill to screw. I saw pop,pop nail gun or tap, tap hammer.
On Monday, July 22, 2013 11:36:31 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:

am not sure what is the best way to install it, should I use nails or scre ws? what type? what size? I am thinking for 8x3 deck screw? http://www.home depot.ca/product/8x3-green-deck-screws-1-500-pieces/957466 Do I need specia l tool? like nail gun etc or it can be done manually? Thanks a lot.
Don't use abbreviations like PL adhesive, Leza need to have things spelled out so there is no misunderstanding. I'm not even sure what PL adhesive is . and I've owned sever houses and do a LOT of repairs myself. Last outside r we had in our house for any type of repairs or appliance installation was 25 years ago
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 20:30:08 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

construction adhesive and any building supply will carry several versions. I'm not sure which number you would use for this application - but even Home Despot has the applications listed.

PL isn't an abbreviation...it's a product line.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/loctite-pl-construction-adhesives-sealants.shtml

I guess that PL stands for Professional Line.
--
pilgrim

Marketing major at work: "You gonna want fries with that?"
<pilgrim> wrote in message

Reminds me of the old joke. What's the difference between an English major and a pizza?
A pizza can feed a family of four.
--
Bobby G.

On Monday, July 22, 2013 9:36:31 PM UTC-7, leza wang wrote:

The manufacture recommended nails. Look at www.lpcorp.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id'62 for the installation instructions.

I wouldn't even consider screws. If you apply them with a power tool, they will likely go in too deep in some places and leave ugly holes. You could put them in by hand if you want to do a lot of work, and that way you can control the depth. But screws will be more noticable.
If this was my job, I'd use gavanized nails, probably a 6 penny size, and drive them in by hand with a hammer, which will yield the best results. Power nailers can tend to drive nails in too deep just like screws, or not deep enough, which will require using a hammer to fix. I may be old fashioned, but those are small nails and not that hard to hammer in.
Since that siding appears to be pre-finished, do they make a colored nail for it, to match the color? I'd ask about that. But galvanized nails wont be all that bad of a look either. And maybe you'll still paint the finished wall????

The Smart siding is pre-primed, not pre-finished.
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 05:41:24 -0500 in alt.home.repair, snipped-for-privacy@toolshed.com wrote,

Aren't they adjustable?