Nail guns

Page 1 of 3

I'm in the market for a nail gun but am uneducated to the nail gun world. Therefore, will someone educate me on what to look for in an all around general purpose nail gun?
I do trimming (baseboards, door trim, etc) as well as minor constructive type building (door frames, cabinets, etc) , if that helps. Not as employment but for my own home and woodworking hobbies.
Thank you
look for porta cable angle finish gun and a porta cable brad gun and/or a bostich staple gun/brad gun - uses both staples and brads all are guns I use daily for work and hobbies 8 years later they still work like new

snipped-for-privacy@homerepair.net says...

I bought a three gun set (18ga. brad, 16ga. finish nailer, 18ga. narrow crown stapler) with a 6gal. pancake compressor from the BORG a while back for $300 or some such (I've heard of better deals). I'm quite pleased with them.
--
Keith

==================================

Shop around for this kit as a compatible, get the most guns you can, Kits differ, I have this (one like) and it has already paid for itself a couple of times over.
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?eT7&pa76
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Well there are about 4 categories of guns as far as size goes. It sounds like you are looking for a finish nail gun. Something that is nice to have is a gun that does not require daily oiling. I have had a Senco finish nailer for almost 18 years and am still very happy with it. The Senco is uses no oil and is a bit pricey but will last you a very long time.

For the trimming you are best off with an oilless finish nailer or stapler. This keeps teh trim from getting oil stains. I have a Bostitch angled framing gun that has put together a few houses along with a great deal of small projects and only one rebuild (when I loaned it out). I have owned it since 1989
Mike D.

imho:
I went to HomeDepot one day, and found a brad gun, finish nailer and compressor on sale. It came with a rebate for a stapler too, which is still in the shrink wrap. It's a porter cable, I dont' use it much, but when I want it to work, it works like a champ.
Only thing I have done, is figure if I want a framing gun, but I figured I don't do enough work to justify buying it, when I can spend money on so much other stuff.
So my only suggestion, figure out if you really need it, or just want to buy another toy. I can relate. :D
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

I did about the same thing. I believe there may be threee different Porter Cable gun/compressor kits at Home Depot, each coming with the same compressor but differing in the number of guns included. The one I got was about $300 and came with an 18g brad nailer, 16g finish nailer, a stapler, a length of air hose, nails for each of the guns, a carrying case for all the guns, a small tube of oil and the pancake style compressor.
I really like this kit and all of the guns have worked great. I've mostly used the brad and finish nailers, but have also found an occasional use for the stapler.

I decided I wanted a framing nailer as well, but knew I wouldn't use one often enough to justify the cost. So I wound up getting one from Harbor Freight for about $70 along with a couple different sizes of nails. While only $70, it's worked flawlessly each of the times I've needed it.

remove ".invalid".
I have an occasional need for a framing nailer but not often enough to justify the cost. What I did was get a palm nailer. Uses common nails of about any length. A bit slower than a nail gun but much more versatile. Also, it had allowed me to get into spots that would have been impossible with gun or hammer.

I love those things. Tecos in hurricane ties used to frustrate the H*** outa me. No more! Gene
CW wrote:

I've been meaning to get one of those too. :) They seem to be relatively inexpensive as well. I can see having one of those around also for just the reasons you mention.

remove ".invalid".
You'll like it. My Senco cost me about $80.00. more than justified the cost on the first deck. Great for joist hangers (I suck with a hammer).

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:23:29 -0600, "Michael Faurot"

Sounds like the same one I got.

Interesting, will get hand tools from harbor freight, but no experience with power tools. Sounds cheaper than renting.
Good luck,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Based on posts I'd seen here in the wreck from a few folks who have purchashed pneumatic nailers from Harbor Freight and had good results, I figured I'd give it a try. Given the price, and the occasional use (hobbyist) it gets--it seems to work great. If I needed a framing nailer as part of my job, I'd be looking at something like Senco, Hitachi, etc.

remove ".invalid".
I'm curious. How's the noise level on the compressor included in these Porter-Cable gun / compressor packages? I'm about to replace my 5hp compressor ( Coleman brand - direct drive ) because of the noise level. Even with noise protection it is way tool loud. Is the compressor output adequate for spraying? I haven't seen the specs.
Michael Faurot wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@boisetools.com says...

They're loud. I have mine in the corner of my basement and plumbed around the basement and into the garage. A 50' hose gets me to pretty much anywhere in the house and most of the outside. I leave the noise behind.

It's only a couple of GPM, so likely not.
--
Keith

I have one of those compressor/gun kits, too. It works well, functionally. But I wear ear muffs when I use it. And my grandson hollers when the compressor cycles.

Not nearly enough, unless what you're using is a Critter sprayer.
It's a good tool, but it has limitations. They all do.
Patriarch
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net says...

I left mine powered on one night (remember, it's in the basement plumbed around the house). My son and his fiancee stayed overnight that night and it just about scared them green (they were on the floor above it). I slept through it. ;-)

Agreed. I bought it as a starter kit. I've been most happy with Porter Cable tools. ...though I just found out the replacement battery for my PC 14.4V drill I killed is worth $75. :-(
--
Keith

Mine's in the garage. There is a cat door from the garage to the kitchen. I have five cats. They like the garage, lots of places to snoop. If you are in the kitchen and hear the compressor come on, stay clear of the door or you will get run over.

I thought about putting it in the garage but it gets cold out there (-20F) and didn't think it good for the compressor.

The mental picture is just too funny! (we have two cats, one quite skittish)
--
Keith