Nail guns

I'm in the market for a nail gun but am uneducated to the nail gun world. Therefore, will someone educate me on what to look for in an all around general purpose nail gun?

I do trimming (baseboards, door trim, etc) as well as minor constructive type building (door frames, cabinets, etc) , if that helps. Not as employment but for my own home and woodworking hobbies.

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

look for porta cable angle finish gun and a porta cable brad gun and/or a bostich staple gun/brad gun - uses both staples and brads all are guns I use daily for work and hobbies

8 years later they still work like new

Reply to
wildo

Shop around for this kit as a compatible, get the most guns you can, Kits differ, I have this (one like) and it has already paid for itself a couple of times over.

-- Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Oren

Well there are about 4 categories of guns as far as size goes. It sounds like you are looking for a finish nail gun. Something that is nice to have is a gun that does not require daily oiling. I have had a Senco finish nailer for almost 18 years and am still very happy with it. The Senco is uses no oil and is a bit pricey but will last you a very long time.

Reply to
Leon

For the trimming you are best off with an oilless finish nailer or stapler. This keeps teh trim from getting oil stains. I have a Bostitch angled framing gun that has put together a few houses along with a great deal of small projects and only one rebuild (when I loaned it out). I have owned it since 1989

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

imho:

I went to HomeDepot one day, and found a brad gun, finish nailer and compressor on sale. It came with a rebate for a stapler too, which is still in the shrink wrap. It's a porter cable, I dont' use it much, but when I want it to work, it works like a champ.

Only thing I have done, is figure if I want a framing gun, but I figured I don't do enough work to justify buying it, when I can spend money on so much other stuff.

So my only suggestion, figure out if you really need it, or just want to buy another toy. I can relate. :D

tom @

Tom The Great

I have a Bostitch N62FN, and love it. Nice and light with lots of power.

Watch for URL wrap.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

There are five of these on Ebay for less than $100.00

HeyBub

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 00:13:04 -0600, "J.A. Michel" wrote (with possible editing):

This is anecdotal only. I have one too, and had so much trouble with it shooting doubles and jamming that I bought a Hitachi which works great. Happened about 5 years ago. The Hitachi shoots plastic stripped nails and the Bostich shoots clipped head.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

^^^^^^^^^^^ Porter Cable

^^^^^^^^^^^ Porter Cable

I bought a three gun set (18ga. brad, 16ga. finish nailer, 18ga. narrow crown stapler) with a 6gal. pancake compressor from the BORG a while back for $300 or some such (I've heard of better deals). I'm quite pleased with them.

Reply to
krw

I use both the Porter Cable 16ga. finish nailer and the 18ga. brad nailer for trim work. The 18ga. is just right for nailing casing into door frames. I then use the 16ga. to nail the other side of the casing through the sheetrock into the framing. Works great.

Reply to
krw

Interesting. I bought a used Bostich N63CP (wire-colated siding nailer) and had lots of trouble with it double nailing too. Adjusting the air pressure cured a lot of it but it was never perfect. Perhaps Bostich is a brand to stay away from.

Reply to
krw

I did about the same thing. I believe there may be threee different Porter Cable gun/compressor kits at Home Depot, each coming with the same compressor but differing in the number of guns included. The one I got was about $300 and came with an 18g brad nailer, 16g finish nailer, a stapler, a length of air hose, nails for each of the guns, a carrying case for all the guns, a small tube of oil and the pancake style compressor.

I really like this kit and all of the guns have worked great. I've mostly used the brad and finish nailers, but have also found an occasional use for the stapler.

I decided I wanted a framing nailer as well, but knew I wouldn't use one often enough to justify the cost. So I wound up getting one from Harbor Freight for about $70 along with a couple different sizes of nails. While only $70, it's worked flawlessly each of the times I've needed it.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

I have an occasional need for a framing nailer but not often enough to justify the cost. What I did was get a palm nailer. Uses common nails of about any length. A bit slower than a nail gun but much more versatile. Also, it had allowed me to get into spots that would have been impossible with gun or hammer.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
DZIN

Reply to
DZIN

Sounds like the same one I got.

Interesting, will get hand tools from harbor freight, but no experience with power tools. Sounds cheaper than renting.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great

I've been meaning to get one of those too. :) They seem to be relatively inexpensive as well. I can see having one of those around also for just the reasons you mention.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

Based on posts I'd seen here in the wreck from a few folks who have purchashed pneumatic nailers from Harbor Freight and had good results, I figured I'd give it a try. Given the price, and the occasional use (hobbyist) it gets--it seems to work great. If I needed a framing nailer as part of my job, I'd be looking at something like Senco, Hitachi, etc.

Reply to
Michael Faurot