My neighbors leaves

Page 1 of 2
The neighbor next to me has trees and I get his leaves in the fall, none of the shade.
When the situation was reversed in the last house I owned I would rake up my leaves or a good portion of them in my neighbors yard.
The area I am talking about is 15 ft of my yard, now I just mow with the mulch plate off the mower and blow it all back in his yard.
Don't you think a neighbor should rake up there yard waste?
Tom
No.
If you live next to the national forest don't expect the rangers to be tapping on the door to rake your back yard. Or the city park crew. Or the school district crew
#################### Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)

none of

rake up

the
If that were the case I would know that before I moved in, my theory is you plant em you rake em.
Tom

you
I disagree Tom....especially with the "you plant em you rake em"......somebody send God a rake! I realize that the trees in question belong to your neighbours....but its part of communal living. If you are receiving 'No shade" from the trees, then the trees can't be towering over your yard. ,......so if the trees are not towering over your yard, then why not erect a "good neighbour fence" inbetween you and the trees to contain most of the leaves to the neighbours side. Regards...Jim

You buy where you buy. Get over it and stop worrying about such trivial stuff

[snip]
I once had a neighbor whose fig tree hung over my fence, dropping rotting figs into my daughters' sand box play area, attracting ants, etc.
I asked him several times to trim it back... never happened.
One day the tree acquired a flat side ;-)
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

You have the right to trim anything that protrudes over the property line as long as you do not enter your neighbors yard to do it. The law does not permit you to trim beyond the property line. If you had decided to use those figs your neighbor could not ask for them back. Tom H -- Tom
clipped

Not so fast - that might be the way it used to be, or is where you live. Some city codes forbid any severe pruning, or topping trees, or have protected species. Not as simple as it "uster be" :o)
To the OP: look on the bright side. The law of averages says there is probably as much stuff blowing out of your yard as there is blowing in. If leaves bug you, move where they don't have trees :o)

I seem to recall a disclaimer clause about "mineral rights" in my deed. If oil is discovered under my property, or gold, or even 8,000-year-old Atlantean ruins, I don't get a penny. The original holders of the land grant do.
And, to a certain very limited point, you don't own the airspace over your property, either. Imagine what that would do to commercial (or military) air travel.
-chib
--
(email: change out to in)

the
True. In the first case your rights are modified by contract. In the second, it goes back to the principle of you only own what the king says you own.
Thank your neighbor. Put that "mulch plate" back on and use the free mulch.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

The law in most states is quite clear. Anything that falls from a live tree is the property of the owner of the land it falls on. If your neighbor had a fruit tree the drops that fell on your land would belong to you. If your neighbors tree falls into your yard and destroys your shed that means that God decided that you needed the tree more than you needed your shed. If your neighbor dropped leaves over the fence into your yard to get rid of them he would be trespassing. If the wind moves the same leaves into your yard you must have needed the mulch. -- Tom H
Tom Horne wrote:

With some important exceptions, as I've been told by more than one lawyer and an insurance adjuster here in Taxachusetts.
If a tree which falls was dead or half rotted through, and located where your neighbor and his whole family would have to be blind not to have notice its condition, and especially if you had given them notice of your concern about its condition, then it's his responsibility, not G-d's.
And, as one lawyer told me, "Healthy trees hardly ever blow over, unless there's a hurricane."
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to blame

of
Once those leaves hit the ground on your side od the line they became your leaves. You are lucky the neughbor has not started a fuss about you blowing your yard waste into his lawn! Are you sure all the leaves came off his tree? My bet is a few of them belong else where. You had better inventory them on the tree before they fall so you get them back into the right yard! Greg
So you get all the crap and none of the shade , boo hoo . You used to rake your leaves off a neighbors property , how stupid. But now you are littering by moving your leaves over. You are a little backwards in your thought, Your neighbor could have charges brought against you for littering. He seems like a real nice person since he hasnt.

Tom, if your neighbor otherwise keeps his yard looking nice, then I would be grateful that he is helping keep your home value higher, and rake up the leaves. If the neighbor's house is a wreck, then keep blowing them back.
My Palo Verde tree has needles that fall into my neighbors rock landscaping. I routinely blow them into my yard, and then rake them up. Now if I could just do something about his bogenvia(sic) leaves clogging up my pool skimmer basket...
Mike

the
Depends where you live and what your interests are.
In New York, local property taxes pay for all kinds of things, from Medicaid to School Taxes. If you just want to live in your home, LOW property taxes are the objective. To achieve that, LOW property values are also the objective, since taxes are tied to property value. In New York, taxes are half or more of the monthly payment (in my town anyway). Invest the savings, and the property values are chump change in comparison!
If your neighbor spreads crack baggies around the area, thank them! Of course, the trick is to keep the neighborhood good and property values bad. Urgh!

up
Can you be positive that the tree's root system does not protrude into your yard (underground)? Can runoff from your yard be supplying the tree with enough water to survive? If you had an enormous amount of rain and the water ran down from your yard into your neighbor's and flooded his basement, would you be held responsible? No, maybe, nah. Respectively.

of

I can see it now. "Owner" of the big oak goes from house to house to collect *his* leaves. And return the ones from maples he *doesn't* have on his property. :-)
Nope, you're entitled to all the leaf mulch his trees give you for free. OTOH, deliberately blowing it back just *might* be actionable in some way, 'though petitioning the Wind Gods isn't.
tflfb wrote:

Unfortunately your current attitude will not make the situation any better. Invite your neighbor over for a barbecue someday and try to get to know him. You'll be surprised how acting neighborly will get you the same. Besides, a little extra exercise won't hurt you. It sounds like you could afford to blow off a little steam.