My microwave hums

My microwave has a real low hum. I can unplug it and it stops. It seems to work fine.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

If I read you right, it hums even when idle, not being used?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Yeah, It was humming when it was not being used. It was humming last night so I unplugged it. I plugged it in again this morning and it was a really low hum.

Funny thing, I went back a few min ago to get model number and I plugged it in and it no longer hums.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Used to work with a woman that hummed all the time. One of the guys plugged her and she finally stopped.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just a guess...... I'm not real familiar with Microwave electronics.

But I believe they have a power transformer, which is likely always live, since it's feeding a power supply, which in turn keeps the clock working and lit, all the time, and also powers the whole oven when in use.

You might have a slight delamination in the transformer.

What that means is that the transformer consists of coils of wire wrapped around a core made out of layers of steel. (Kind of stacked up, like plywood layers). The coils are insulated, and there is a insulation around the steel core as well. If the steel core layers become a iittle loose, or the insulation between the layers of the coils of wire, or the insulation between the coils and the core, you will get a slight vibration. That's your "hum".

I've seen this happen on some of the old tube powered electronics, especially power transformers. I recall fixing one of them years ago, by opening the transformer's metal covers, and putting some epoxy on the core and beween the coil and core.

If this is the case, it's not going to harm anything, just annoying.

Like I said, this is just a guess!

If you dont need the clock, you could always just unplug it when not in use, or put a switch on the outlet.

On my MW oven, I'd prefer the clock was not turned on, because it only works using 24 hour military time. That annoys me. But I just dont look at it!!!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

It hums because it doesn't know the words or has a terrible voice.

I couldn't resist.

Reply to
Meanie

Tinnitus?

(Usually it's a ringing. I hear crickets.)

Reply to
Dan Espen

Do you know the way to Carnegie Hall?

I couldn't resist.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a old craftsman car batttery charger with 200 amp boost. Its transformer was always noisey from the day I bought it.

But it got only occasional use, so I didnt care....... it worked fine all these years..

well one day a neighbor borrowed it and forgot to bring it in doors. it sat out in the rain, for perhaps a week.

the hum went totally away. it appears the rain and snow caused the transformer to rust, tightening things up, ending the bad hum

Reply to
bob haller

Two of my table radios hum, even when they're off. I put a swtch in the speaker wire of one of them, but now the second one is humming.

Reply to
micky

For me, it sounds like water running inside a pipe. I've had it since I was 10 or 20, and didn't mind it, but about 5 years ago, it suddently doubled in volume. (About 2 months after my brother took me to a cafe rock band that played so loud I couldnt' stand it. But that was 2 months earlier.)

Reply to
micky

And that worked, so it wasn't the transformer that was humming.

And the sound is coming out of the speaker on that one too.

What's going on? The swtiches are off.

Reply to
micky

Loud exposure like that can do some serious damage. I'd have been out of that cafe in about half second after the loud noise started.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote: "On my MW oven, I'd prefer the clock was not turned on, because it only works using 24 hour military time. That annoys me. But I just dont "

There's a menu setting for that. It's in the user manual.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Interesting. I know people hear different sounds. I don't mind it much either but I'd really like to hear some silence.

I blame concerts. I think I was hearing the crickets for a long time before I realized that crickets don't chirp during snow storms.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Some girl, who barely had any money, invited me to a concert at the arena east of DC, near the beltway. I wore earplugs. That's the only one I've been to.

I did go to time trials a couple times and the race once at the INdy

500.

But if anything did it that I know about, it was a summer job, only for a couple weeks, working in what I think was a chimney at Beth Steel in Bethlehem It was 5 for 8 stories tall and about 20 feet in diameter, and it had an open, unfilled part like a cat's eye maybe at the side. The rest was layer after layer of bricks arranged so that there were hundres of empty square spaces surrounded by 4 bricks each, like hundreds of little chimneys.

The steel structure was topped by a steel dome, with a hole in it, and most of us had waist harnesses that went around each leg and our waist, with a heavy rope that went up to the hole where it was tied off. If we were somehow hanging from the rope, we would not be over that talll empty hole I first mentioned, but over "dry land" or swinging back to it. (One guy had no harness but he didn't complain. He might have had a rope. A full time employee, I was a temp worker hired from the laborer's labor hall. )

One guy had a jack hammer which he only used for about 10 seconds each time we started a new layer of bricks. At the time it didn't seem dangerous to me ears. We only did a new layer every half-hour or so. So that's 16 in an 8 hour day times 10 seconds is 2 1/2 minutes spread out over 8 hours, and I only had this job for a couple weeks. I didn't notice any noise at the end of any day or the end of the job. Maybe I had it since I was 10, I don't know.

I should have asked the ear doctor about the 10 secondses of noise. . He said the loud music with my brother didn't make my ear noise louder because it was 2 months before that happened. But I didn't like the way the doctor answered another question or two, so why believe him.

I also wore a respirator, a better one than just a dust mask, but still had dried pink mucus in my nose at the end of every day. At least the CT last summer scan said my lungs are good. (I'm just fat.)

LOL

Reply to
micky

That's probably exactly what happens. Maybe you have a new fix-it tip!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Seymore4Head posted for all of us...

It learned the words?