my measuring tape lies

I installed the surround speakers of my DVD entertainment system today. I'd been holding off for a while because I was going to have to take the wires up through the insulation-filled attic and drop them down through the ceiling into the great room, which is an outside wall. I have vaulted ceilings which are high on one side and low on the other. Needless to say, getting to the low side to get the wire was very difficult. I was prone across the ceiling joists and the roof nails were almost touching my head.
Now to the point of all this. I installed the mounting brackets on the wall 91" from the floor. I checked and double-checked the measurements. I even measured from the wall railing to make sure. After I attached the speakers and adjusted them evenly, I (and wife) noticed the left speaker was lower than the right one. The left one has the high wall and the right one has the low wall. I got out the measuring tape and checked it again. To the bottom of the mount was exactly 91". I tried adjusting the speaker on the bracket and still couldn't get it to look right. I swear it it was a good 2" lower than the right speaker. I ended up having to remount the left speaker higher and later filling in the extra holes.
How can this be? My floors aren't that unlevel. I am on a concrete slab.

Your floors may be off a little and the strike line for the drywall guy may be off a little from the visual line of the ceiling. An inch here and there makes two.
A tip from a drapery installer, more people notice a difference at the top than at the bottom. Measure down from the ceiling when installing things close to it.
Colbyt
badgolferman wrote:

Perhaps because you "have vaulted ceilings which are high on one side and low on the other" and they fool the eye? . -- dadiOH _____________________________
Floors, ceilings, and walls are not always square or level. I recently remodeled a porch where *nothing* was square or level. I prefer to make my corners square and my posts level, but for this project, I just had to "eyeball" it so it looked right.
"badgolferman" wrote in message

badgolferman wrote in message ...

But how is the ceiling?
If the ceiling is closer to the speakers than the floor is, that is what your eye will use to judge if they're lever (whether they are or not). Other wall mountings in the area may affect your perception as well.
JMO
Dan O.
badgolferman wrote:

Thanks for the warning, but it's like riding past a car wreck, I just can't help but look...

The beauty of it all is that no matter how you justify the locations, one or more of your anal retentive friends will surely notice that they aren't (gasp) *perfect*, probably because he has his new DeWalt XLL-5000 Laser Level out in the trunk and wants to show it off.
So, he, you, and any other heat seeker frineds who may be present can all inspect and ponder the issue. I'm sure at least one of them will have a suggestion for a new, hot electronic solution to your problem. The Omniview SPM3000 Sensory Perspective Modulator, they will have just read about it in Stereo Review. You can then proceed to have your little nitpicker heat seeker group meltdown over the insignificant dilema of the day.
--
Ha'i D-suhlami
filling in for I-zheet M'drurz
badgolferman wrote:

Its an optical illusion. Most houses with half cathedral ceilings will have this "issue" one way or the other. I'll bet if you stand at the "high" wall and your wife stands at the "low" wall, she will "look" closer to you than you do to her. Switch places and see if I'm not right. Then you will have to decide whether you want optical or acoustical "balance." <bleeping architects>
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca /

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:20:32 -0400, "badgolferman"

badgolferman wrote:

real nice, could not be nicer.... then 30 yrs. later you think to yourself.... oh well you get the idea....
badgolferman wrote:

Sound like you've got the makings of an ideal location for opening up one of those tourist attraction "Mystery Houses".
Water runs "uphill", Peoples' heights "change" relative to each other when they switch between the two "level" pedestals they are standing on, and similar foolishness.
Was your architect named Escher?
Maybe your place can be a moneymaker for you this summer?
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

badgolferman wrote:

M.C. Escher, the artist..
He did stuff like this:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~davemc/Pic/Escher/Ascending%20and%20Descending.jpg
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

My house is nowhere as squarely built as that. His designs would be an improvement.
Were both sides of the bracket same? If not, did one accidentally get turned wrong way?

1. You used the metric side of the rule on one, and the inch side on the other. 2. Your eyeglasses need to be replaced. 3. You've been drinking too much booze. 4. You medication is too strong. 5. Your house shifted after you added the weight and will soon collapse.
On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:20:32 -0400, "badgolferman"