My lawnmower burned up

Page 1 of 3
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer to sue the manufacturer of the mower.
Ralph W.
Have a nice 4th of July!
Main Man wrote:

In spite of the troll, what could be more American than some dumbass suing over his own stupidity.
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 01:45:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

    That's actually pretty funny.
Kent
--
WOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.
Zorro the Geek wrote:

Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll. Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Kerosene burns. Gasoline explodes. Read the warning labels.
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:54:53 -0600, Bert Byfield

Only in Hollywood. On the tv show "mythbusters" they proved this. A standard propane blow torch wasn't enough to cause gasoline to explode. They also shot at a car's gas tank that was full, with a high powered rifle and all it did was puncture a pair of holes in it.

That's because the tank was full -- not much oxygen in the closed tank. They should have tried it with an "empty" gas tank.

Errm...they did. It also didn't work. The reason is that while the tank is full of fumes, there isn't enough oxy to make a combustible mix.
Harry K

Most likely troll. People who know, know that gasoline does not explode. Also that you need a higher temperature than a match to get it to burn at all.

Almost surely.

Wrong. As usual. Liquid gasoline burns; gasoline vapor mixed with air explodes. If the latter weren't true, then internal combustion engines couldn't use gasoline.

Wrong. As usual. A match flame is surprisingly hot, certainly higher than the temperature at which paper burns, which as we all know is 451F. Matches don't give off much heat since they're so small, but gasoline is highly flammable in the presence of oxygen. Please don't try to confirm this on your own.
Deadrat wrote:

I wonder how car engines work????????
Deadrat wrote:

Darn, I wish all products were manufactured to be as dangerous and deadly as possible. That way all the stupid animals in the heard would succumb to natural selection, hopefully before they can breed.
TDD
Deadrat wrote:

even an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does NOT explode. It burns rapidly. This is the reason the internal combustion engines runs and does not explode. you are wrong.
steve

Well technically it can. This is largely the concept behind the fuel-air bomb or vapor cloud explosions. Of course, your overall point within the confines of the internal combustion engine in your mower, is valid. Unless the OP did some VERY serious tinkering with the mower before hand (g).

In this lawnmower incident, which is more common than you think, what people call an explosion is more than likely a "fireball" effect. Where you have a small opening in whcih the fumes gather, the fumes ignite and are pushed out of that little hole. Which is exactly how a rocket works.
Search for information on "B.L.E.V.E." and you will soon find out how various fuels ignite and explode and why they are dangerous.
Boiling Liquids Evaporating Vapors Explosions

I was wrong once.
1967.
March.
First week.
If you'd like to argue that an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does "NOT" explode, then you want semantics, down the hall, first door on the left. This is abuse.

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:38:16 -0600, Steve Barker

For all practical purposes, a proper mixture of gasoline and oxygen in a confined space explodes.

The US Navy sent me to bomb school where they taught that TNT produces a quick rush of gas and not an "explosion" such as you get from other chemicals. So it is relative. "Explosion" is not a precise term without some sort of context to define it better than the dictionary does.