My garage door will not close from remote, but opens from remote

I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener. 3 Years old. Recently after painting my garage wall, I have some weired problem with my garage door opener.
I am able to open my garage door from the remote as well as the controller unit.
But I am able to close the door only from the controller mounted inside the garge wall (You know what I mean). That too I have to keep holding this until it closes completely. Whenever the button is released, the door opens. Because of this phenomena, I am not able to close the garage from the remote.
It appears as though the unit requires continuous power for closing the garage instead of a pulsed start.
I am looking for tips on how to fix this. Do I have to replace the whole unit? Has anyone experience this before?
thanks for your inputs (alwar)
Al wrote:

Check the IR safety system (the beam across the garage door) to make sure you haven't dislodged a wire or mis-aimed the beam.

Yup, that too!

I had the same problem with my GDO. Check the alignment of the photo eye safety sensor.

Sounds like photocell misalignment.
Rich Winter will be here soon, don't forget your garage door's preventive maintenance. http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

Thanks for the inputs.
I suspected that too. But is there a way to bypass the sensor. Whether to test that, I connected the sensor inputs to GROUND or Power, it does not help.
However, the fact that the door stops midway while closing the door made me wonder that this could be something else. I thought the door will open up all the way if it is a sensor issue.
Also, I am able to close it all the way, if I keep holding the CLOSE button mounted on the controller in the wall.
Any other thoughts?
(alwar)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Al) wrote in message

No, I know of know way to bypass them. I saw a suggestiononce to tape them face to face. Why would anyone want to disable them? It is really simple to check the alignment. Does the little light on the receiver light up? Yes? It is aligned correctly.
If the door goes half-way and stops without raising, you are correct, it is something else. Misaligned tracks?, wheel rubbing?, closing force adjusted to too light a setting? Get out your manual and go through the trouble shooting checklist.
Harry K
On 2 Aug 2004 06:08:39 -0700, Harry K hath writ:
<--snippage throughout->

Try unhooking the GDO and running it up and down by hand. That will reveal if/where the might be (severe) binding.
Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
(Al) wrote:

The idea of manually operating the door is the best idea. Every time my IR beam gets out of alignment, the door always stops and then reverses, not just stop. It also does the reversing immediately when I let go of the push button, or instantly whan I use the remote. If the springs are the torsion bar type, one could be broken and not noticeable, but that would only hurt when trying to raise the door, not close it.
H. R. (Bob) Hofmann