My car goes jingle, jingle, jingle.

Shifted my car into gear for the fist time since the accident. When I went back to Park, heard noise like gears messhing, or synchronizers not syncing. What does this indicate? A serious problem? Needs fixing immediately???
Red Green wrote:

No , actually that's worse than a broken belt . When the belt breaks , only the valves that are open are hammered . If the cam (s) keep turning out of time , they ALL get chewed up .
--
Snag

OK, I give up.
What is gained by designing interference into the engine?
Is it just that engines can rev faster and therefore produce more power at high rpms?
It seems to me that if I had my druthers, I'd druther have a car with a non-interference engine and make do with a bit less power.
--
nestork

Well, I guess this does make me feel less alone, and better.
Yes, it can always get worse.
Thank you both.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 04:21:13 +0200, nestork

Me too.
So far all my Lebarons and this 2000 Solara did not have interference engines, though I admit I didnt' check before I bought this last car. I should have.
I actually had a timing belt break. I was about to take my elderly mother home from the dentist. But in a few minutes her dentist or another one came out, and I talked him into taking her. Only 3 miles plus 3 more if he had to come back. Then a tow truck drove by and I had it towed a mile to the gas station near me -- lucky me -- who repaired it. Next time not so lucky, blew engine on way home from vacation. Had to buy a car where I was.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 04:21:13 +0200, nestork

Interference engines can have higher valve lift and higher compression ratios without requiring super complicated engineering, - means more HP and lower cost - generally speaking.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:41:48 -0800, "Guv Bob"

Timing belts are lighter, cheaper, and more efficient than chains - and also can be quieter. Many companies are resorting to chains on their newer engines. We'll see if they have solved the lubrication/wear problems that made belts so attractive on overhead cam engines where 3 1/3 feet of chain had a bad habit of stretching and rattling (and when they used 2 chains, like the Mitsu/Chrysler 2.6 - over SIX FEET).chain guides and tensioners were constantly requiring attention.

power

The story I heard (no idea if true...) is that it makes for a smaller engine.
My question is.... if a broken timing belt can do this much damage (I had one break myself), why don't they use timing chains?
Red Green posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Have it checked out by your mechanic. It is hidden damage and you will have to get a supplemental on it. The body shop should have fixed it properly but did not. Maybe they will total it with the additional bux.

This is why manufacturers have "kits" for t/b r&r. It may include water pumps, etc. Obviously the parts replacer did not use the kit nor perform a proper repair.
--
Tekkie

And I know how to SNIP

Yeah, tell me about it. More chains in that engine than on truck tires during the winter.
--
Tekkie

Meant to finish this thread a while back.
After I thought about this for a while, I realized that since my right front axle was broken in half at the internal universal, when the car was in Reverse, even though it wasn't moving, the transmission parts were turning, at idle speed. It was like the right tire was off the ground.
So since the parts were turning in R, slow as they might have been, shifting to Park is going to be more difficult than when the car is actually stopped and the transimisson is stopped too.
And sure enough, I was right. When I replaced the right front axle etc. and lowered the car to the ground, no more jingle jingle. Sounds just fine. I drove around the block and it seems just fine, though the right REAR wheel is also messed up. Needs a forwrd lower locating arm. Mine is bent about 25^.