multimeter

I don`t know if this falls into this newsgroup, anyway here is the problem. My multimeter, a Micronta 22-174b takes 6 AA batteries. Is there some kind of battery pack I could use instead of all those batteries? I don`t use it a lot, so am not sure if the batteries are always fresh. Thanks. Patt.
Patt wrote:

sounds like its a radio shack meter, they would be the best source for an answer to that question..... or buy a better meter??? i got an old radio shack one for the last 15 yrs. and it takes one 9 volt batter and one AA battery.....

Buy alkaline batteries,they have a long shelf life. Yours sounds like an older analog multimeter.The newer digital DMMs use 9V batteries,and they use very little power,even on OHMS. Harbor Freight has DMMs on sale every so often for $5.00 US.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Patt wrote:

Why bother? The batteries are used so little they will last a long long time. Also AA batteries are not THAT expensive anyway. What we do is to put each multimeter in some kind of case, along with it's leads and a spare set of batteries. Old shaver cases and/or padded school lunch containers are suitable and often cheaply available. You can use rechargeable if you want to but again the drain is usually only for afew minutes at a time it hardly seems worthwhile? Terry.
I'd put alkalines in it, and then not give it another thought.
--
Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated
Patt wrote:

Patt,
6 AA batteries produce the same voltage as a 9 volt battery. If a 9 volt will fit inside the case just wire in the correct plug for a 9 v battery. Or put the 9 v connector outside the case and attach a battery when you need to use the meter. You can get the connector and a battery holder at Radio Shack.
Dave M.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:26:36 GMT, "David Martel"

Yep, and 80 AA batteries in series can produce 120 volts, so you can power your whole house off of them, unless you need 220, then you need 160 AA batteries.
So, if your power goes out and you are in the middle of cooking dinner on the electric range, just hook 160 batteries in series, to your electric range and continue cooking.
You can easily center tap a wire at the 80th battery and get both 120 and 240 off the same batteries, so you can run your electric range and turn on the kitchen lights at the same time.
Of course, 10 12 volt car batteries in series (or 20 of them for 220) does the same thing.
Batteries provide DC. House power is AC. Whole different ballgame.
And we won't even get started on amperage draw......
--
Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season