multi tool, Harbor Freight and swearing

Page 3 of 3

On 8/30/2010 11:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:

value. Price is just one of the components.
Jeff Thies wrote:

I bought one of the HF reciprocating saws last year for about $20. When I brought it home, I plugged it in to test it, and observed that it moved very slowly and stalled out when trying to cut a 2x4.
I decided that it must have been defective, and put it back in the box.
As I was finishing up closing the box, I noticed that it said, on the box, that it was a variable speed unit. At that time, I re-opened the box, plugged it back in, and found, when I turned the speed control up from the lowest setting, that it worked just as it was supposed to. The problem was that I excluded the possibility of variable speed on a $20 reciprocating saw.
Jon

I have the cheapest multi-tool from Harbor Freight and the Dremel version as well. My wife bought me the Dremel and didn't realize that I already had the HF version but that was OK, one is at the hangar the other at home. I have used both extensively and the HF unit has performed great for almost two years without a problem. I have worn out the saw blade a couple of times and the Velcro attachment for the sander wore out and had to be replaced but overall I would say that I am 100% satisfied with the HF unit. The only advantage that the Dremel offers is being a bit lighter. I would return it for another if it were me.
Bob

Jeff, if the variable speed control is set to run at some speed and the saw is dead, I'd return it to HF and exchange it. This is a real long shot, but you do realize that the running tool has so little motion at the blade that it gives the impression of doing nothing. DOA would mean no sound or vibration at all, where running normally would be no big apparent motion at the blade. Try it against a piece of wood to verify that it's not running and that you've advanced the speed control fully.
The HF saws like you bought are darned good and reliable for most users and by paying more for the "better" brands, you really don't gain proportionately more reliability, power or convenience. If the HF store is really distant, consider giving them a call to ask what they recommend.
Micajah

What do you mean by "it does nothing"?
Ron wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
net> wrote:

I see that now. No power = returning it. Not taking it apart with probably voided the warranty,

Concept too complicated for you?
PAY YOUR ELECTRIC BILL ! So you have power to run it !!!!! Jr.
Jeff Thies wrote:

Did you plug it in and flip the little switch?
--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/multi-tool-Harbor-Freight-and-swearing-472581-.htm meniko wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

------------------------------------- I to bought the top HF model. It works great providing if you don't use their accessories. I ordered a blade on the internet that fits HF it works great.