multi tool, Harbor Freight and swearing

So, in a discussion of Product X, you want to discuss Product Y, which the OP does not own. Thanks for explaining that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He didn't buy a dremel or a fein, either, Kanter.

Ron

Try and follow the discussion. You've run off the tracks.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I guess I am totally missing your point. There is a concept called value. Price is just one of the components.

Reply to
George

Does the $70 model come with a M-67 flamethrower? I'd be willing to upgrade.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Same here. About when I give it a rest. my neighbor borrows it. Nice guy...he brings it back with a new blade or some such every time.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I bought one of the HF reciprocating saws last year for about $20. When I brought it home, I plugged it in to test it, and observed that it moved very slowly and stalled out when trying to cut a 2x4.

I decided that it must have been defective, and put it back in the box.

As I was finishing up closing the box, I noticed that it said, on the box, that it was a variable speed unit. At that time, I re-opened the box, plugged it back in, and found, when I turned the speed control up from the lowest setting, that it worked just as it was supposed to. The problem was that I excluded the possibility of variable speed on a $20 reciprocating saw.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You didn't get the separate accessory package.

Reply to
willshak

Make sure you don't tell him what it cost, or you'll run out free blades.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I have the cheapest multi-tool from Harbor Freight and the Dremel version as well. My wife bought me the Dremel and didn't realize that I already had the HF version but that was OK, one is at the hangar the other at home. I have used both extensively and the HF unit has performed great for almost two years without a problem. I have worn out the saw blade a couple of times and the Velcro attachment for the sander wore out and had to be replaced but overall I would say that I am 100% satisfied with the HF unit. The only advantage that the Dremel offers is being a bit lighter. I would return it for another if it were me.

Bob

Reply to
BobR

Jeff, if the variable speed control is set to run at some speed and the saw is dead, I'd return it to HF and exchange it. This is a real long shot, but you do realize that the running tool has so little motion at the blade that it gives the impression of doing nothing. DOA would mean no sound or vibration at all, where running normally would be no big apparent motion at the blade. Try it against a piece of wood to verify that it's not running and that you've advanced the speed control fully.

The HF saws like you bought are darned good and reliable for most users and by paying more for the "better" brands, you really don't gain proportionately more reliability, power or convenience. If the HF store is really distant, consider giving them a call to ask what they recommend.

Micajah

Reply to
Micajah

How is the Dremel? I'm used to seeing them on small scale work and I need to do things like strip paint and such. I see it is 1.5A and the "Chicago" is a 2.

Is it a bad boy?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

It does me no good to know that X is great when I own Y. Y has variable speed.

Let me know so I can stop reading this thread.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

What do you mean by "it does nothing"?

Reply to
Ron

PAY YOUR ELECTRIC BILL ! So you have power to run it !!!!! Jr.

Jerry - OHIO

You have NO life do you asshole?

Reply to
Ron

He first thought of saying it's a POS, but decided he would explain further.

Reply to
willshak

I see that now. No power =3D returning it. Not taking it apart with probably voided the warranty,

Reply to
Ron

You can stop reading this thread anytime you like.

How many alternatives do you need?

It's been suggested that you bring it back and get another one because it's worth the money, it's been suggested that you call the store for their advice before you drive over, it's been suggested that you call or email HF Customer Service to see what they say, it's been suggested that you consider a different brand, although none of them appear to be worth the extra money.

That should just about cover the extend of the alternatives.

Oh wait...you could just toss the broken one and do nothing else.

I don't think that there are too many other choices.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did you plug it in and flip the little switch?

Reply to
LSMFT