Mulcher Lawnmower: Bag does not catch Grass?

I have a sears 6 hp lawnmower, for some reason when I cut the grass the bag is empty of any grass. Other times it does fill up. I admit I do often cut on a high setting, but it is still cutting off plenty of grass, so I would expect to still see grass in my bag. Any ideas? thanks.

Reply to
lbbss

If it is mulching then it is not suppose to catch the grass. It cuts the grass up and puts it back on the lawn so it naturally decays and feeds the grass and improves the soil.

Reply to
jmeehan

Change the blade. On my honda there is a mulching blade and a "high lift" blade. The mulcher mulches- and leaves the clippings in place. . . the high lift blade cleans the lawn.

Unless you're using the clippings for mulch or in a compost pile it is foolish to bag them. They are good for your lawn. Take the bag off and enjoy.

Jim [I bag mine- but I only mow my lawn when I need mulch for my gardens.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If my mulcher is not suppose to catch grass then why is it equiped with a bag mounted on the back. And it does catch grass sometimes, I have not tested it yet, but I suspect when I cut lower I get some grass in the bag. I just sharpened the blade today, so we will see if that helps.

Reply to
lbbss

This would be normal for operation of a Sears 6 h.p. mowe with both rear catcher bag fitted and side throw chute fitted.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

So the manufacturer can have a common design and reduce the number of parts they need to make and handle. I also have a 6 HP mulcher that can be a bagger if you open the plastic door and attach a bag or they could fit it with a non mulching blade and a bag right out of the box. I strictly use it as a mulcher for the reasons noted earlier.

Reply to
George

Dull blade, wrong blade, or plate that blocks opening in mower deck when not using a bag is still in place.

Reply to
beecrofter