leave as mulcher?

Since I've got a bunch of leaves to deal with several times per year, is there any reason not to just set my tractor mower up as a mulcher, and leave it that way both for leaves and mowing?

Reply to
rb

__________________________________________________________ That's exactly the best way. I run as a mulcher all year round, cuts up the leaves after a few mowings and provides mulch for the tree. Kinda like Mother nature does it without the mower.

Reply to
Bob

Does it do a good job mowing grass when setup as a mulcher?

Reply to
rb

I think the answer is, it depends. If the mower is specifically designed to be used as a mulcher, then in my experience, it will likely do a pretty good to very good job of cutting. If you're talking about just putting a mulching blade on a mower that wasn't designed to be a mulcher, then my experience has been that it does a poor job of giving a good cut. Worst performance is in thin/sparse grass, where it can tend to whack the grass over, instead of cleanly cutting it.

Reply to
trader4

I originally had concerns about mulch acting like thatch buildup, but so far the mulch seems to break down into compost whereas thatch just lays there. Guess it has to do with the size of the cut pieces.

Reply to
Red

mulcher?

specifically

it will

you're

that wasn't

it does a

thin/sparse

of cleanly

I originally had concerns about mulch acting like thatch buildup, but so far the mulch seems to break down into compost whereas thatch just lays there. Guess it has to do with the size of the cut pieces.

Reply to
Boots Crofoot