Mr. Coffee parts rip-off

Page 1 of 2
Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back into coffee maker. NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold. Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch, but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary. You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make it a replacement part.
TomKan wrote:

Nope. I would think the simplicity/cheapness of assembly/modular manufacturing would mean you can barely replace any part.
Shame, but thats where we are today. It breaks, toss it.
When I find a thing that is put together with buts/bolts/screws it gets extra points in my books.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
TomKan wrote:

Yea, I had one that also had a problem. I would have looked for a part, if I thought it would be available and at any kind of reasonable price. Let's face it, it was not designed to be repaired. It is a throw-a-way. Many things are. Most people would not know how to do it themselves and there are no repairmen around to do that kind of work at a price that would make it doable.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

This is Turtle.
When you buy a product for $9.95 and the warranty reads bring it back and we will give you a new one.It does not make you think they are going to supply parts and help with service on the unit after 1 years warranty. Also if you did order a part for it at say $3.00 the shipping and handling will be about $6.00 which will cost you $9.00 to get a part for it. Tomcan , I feel sorry for you but your just going to have to break open your billfold with a crowbar and buy a new coffee pot. Also Crowbars are $9.95 too.
TURTLE
When you buy a product for $9.95 ........................
____Reply Separator_____
Turtle, you're 100% correct! The part plus shipping/handling* would probably be a ten spot. I don't have to pry my wallet open with a crowbar, but I do have to find a place that will sell me another Mr. Coffee 4 cup coffee brewer for $9.95.
* That handling charge is the big ticket item. Now I know where the expression "Boy was I handled!" originated!!
TomKan wrote:

Try some Gevalia coffee and get a free coffee maker. The coffee is damned good and you can cancel immediately if you don't want to spring for it. You still get to keep the coffee maker.
http://www.gevalia.com
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I did exactly that. The coffe was pretty good, but not worth $10 - $15 a pound. The coffee maker is over three years old going strong. The coffe maker was the type that brews at drinking temp into an insulated carafe. The coffee stays drinking hot for 8-12 hours.
Les
Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for about this. My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a cup.
THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:
TONGUE GIRL: Next in line, please.
ME:Hi.
TONGUE GIRL: Welcome to Starbucks. How may I help you?
ME: I'd like a cup of coffee, please.
TONGUE GIRL: What size, sir?
ME: I'll take a large, I guess.
TONGUE GIRL: We don't have a large, sir.
ME: Whatever. A medium is fine.
TONGUE GIRL: We don't have a medium, sir.
ME: Does your coffee come in a cup?
TONGUE GIRL: Yes sir. Would you like a tall, a grande or a venti?
ME: Vini, vidi, vici?
TONGUE GIRL: Tall, grande or venti?
ME: You're looking at me like I'm supposed to know what you're saying.
TONGUE GIRL: Here at Starbucks, a tall is a small.
ME: I do not want green eggs and ham.
TONGUE: The grande is our medium-sized drink. And the venti is our large, 20-ounce drink.
ME: So the tall -- which sounds big -- is actually small. The grande -- which sounds grand -- is bigger than the tall but not quite the biggest. And the venti, which doesn't sound tall or grand, is actually the tallest and grandest of them all. Do I have that right?
TONGUE GIRL: That's correct. Venti is our largest cup of coffee, sir.
ME: You have to admit this is a little confusing.
TONGUE GIRL: Not at all, sir. Tall, grande, venti.
ME: If I walked into McDonald's and asked for a grande cup of coffee, would they know what I was talking about?
TONGUE GIRL: No sir.
ME: Burger King?
TONGUE GIRL: No sir.
ME: Denny's?
TONGUE GIRL: No sir.
ME: Boston Market?
TONGUE GIRL: Do they serve coffee at Boston Market?
ME: I have no idea.
TONGUE GIRL: Tall, grande, venti. It's not that hard, sir.
ME: For a zillion years, a large cup of coffee has been called "a large cup of coffee." Why does it have to change now? Why is this the only place on earth where a large cup of coffee isn't called a large cup of coffee, but instead it's called a venti cup of coffee?
TONGUE GIRL: Because here at Starbucks, it's called a venti cup of coffee.
ME: I see. Well then, I'll have a venti cup of coffee.
MEANWHILE
A GUY WITH A PURPLE MOWHAWK AND A NOSE RING IS ALSO STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER NEXT TO THE GIRL WITH THE SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE. HE'S HELPING PEOPLE IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.
MOWHAWK GUY:May I help the next person in line?
THE GIRL IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.
GIRL: Yes, I'd like a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of espresso, extra whip in a venti cup, please.
THE MOWHAWK GUY TURNS AND SHOUTS TO THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED EYELID WHO'S RUNNING ALL THE MACHINERY.
MOWHAWK GUY: I need a non-D Mach, espresso squared, twin whip in a venti!
PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: Coming up!
I TURN TO THE GIRL IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.
ME:What did you order?
GIRL: A nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of espresso, extra whip in a venti cup.
ME: I know. I mean, what is that?
GIRL: It's a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of espresso, extra whip in a venti cup.
I GET THE "YOU ARE SO RETARDED" LOOK.
ME: E pluribus unum?
GIRL: What?
MEANWHILE
TONGUE GIRL: So what kind of coffee would you like, sir?
ME: Oh, just a regular coffee is fine.
THE TONGUE GIRL STARES AT ME.
ME: There's no such thing as regular coffee at Starbucks, is there?
TONGUE GIRL: Well, what kind of coffee do you like?
ME:Hot.
TONGUE GIRL: Mild, smooth or bold?
ME: Yes.
TONGUE GIRL: Sir, here at Starbucks, we strive to offer an eclectic taste of coffees to our                     guests.
ME: I'm a guest?
TONGUE GIRL: Yes, sir.
ME: I know you don't want to hear this, but I just want a large cup of coffee.
TONGUE GIRL: Sir, all of our coffees are listed on the menu board behind me.
ME: I've never seen a coffee menu before. Is it like, appetizers: coffee. Main course: coffee.      Dessert: coffee. Hey, try our special of the day: coffee.
TONGUE GIRL: Our menu features all of the coffee and specialty drink options we offer our                 guests.
ME: Guests like me.
TONGUE GIRL: Exactly. For example, we have a mild Colombia Narino Supreme, A                         Lightnote Blend, our Organic Shade Grown Mexico or Kona. Or, you could                 try one of our smooth flavors such as Arabian Mocha Java, Espresso Roast                 and Yukon Blend.
ME: I had no idea yukon make coffee in Alaska.
TONGUE GIRL: Excuse me?
ME: Nothing. I'm just amusing myself.
TONGUE GIRL: And our bold flavors are Gulf Coast Blend, Komodo Dragon Blend, Sumatra,                 Sulawesi and Ethiopia Sidamo.
ME: Do they make a decaf Ethiopian Skinny?
TONGUE GIRL: Excuse me?
ME: Nothing. I'm just amusing myself.
TONGUE GIRL: Also, our flavor of the day is Pumpkin Spice.
ME: No seeds?
TONGUE GIRL: No seeds.
ME: Is there a face carved out of the side of the cup?
TONGUE GIRL: No.
MEANWHILE.
THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED EYELID HOLDS UP A DRINK SHE JUST MADE.
PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: I have a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of                                         espresso, extra whip in a venti cup.
THE GIRL WHO WAS IN LINE NEXT TO ME: That's mine.
I TURN TO THE GIRL.
ME:Enjoy your drink. And writ of habeus corpus.
SHE LEAVES WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE.
MEANWHILE
I TURN TO THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.
ME: Is it me, or are the people in this place a little crazy?
OLD GUY: Uh huh.
THE MOWHAWK GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER SPEAKS.
MOWHAWK GUY:
May I help the next person in line, please?
THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.
OLD GUY: Yes, I'll take a short non-fat Caffe Latte with no foam and a shot of Hazelnut.
THE MOWHAWK GUY SHOUTS TO THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED EYELID.
MOWHAWK GUY: I need a short no fat/foam latte with a nut!
PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: Coming up.
I TURN TO THE OLD GUY.
ME: You're one of them, aren't you?
THE OLD GUY LOOKS STRAIGHT AHEAD.
TomKan wrote:

[...]
My first visit to Starbucks took place about a month ago.
STARBUCKS PERSON: Yes, may I help you.
ME: I'd like a cup of Folger's Instant coffee.
SP: We don't have that.
ME: Okay, give me what you've got that's closest to it.
TomKan wrote:

That's why I'm afraid to go into places like that. Not only that, the one time I tried their coffee, it tasted burnt to me. I'd rather drink the hospital coffee. At least I know it's fresh.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:48:24 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Because Starbucks' coffee *is* burnt. It's way overroasted to hide not-so-good beans that have been allowed to stale. There's a reason Starbucks mostly sells coffee *drinks*, not straight Americanos or espressos. I doubt the hospital coffee you had was fresh either. None that I've had has been fresh, or particularly good. But at least it was worth the price, usually free ;-).
--
Luke
Ditto for Dunkin'Donuts. I get better jo at the local quick stop!! And, it doesn't cost more than a buck!

this interesting note:

In Petaluma, California once, just visiting, mind you, we saw a bumper sticker put out by a local Mom&Pop style coffee shop: "Friends don't let Friends go to Starbucks"
Let that be a lesson to you...

I'd love to see the Frasier brothers meet this lot.
TomKan wrote:

She: Next in line please.
Me: Would you mind showing me what else you have pierced?
Tom, the same size issue came up the first and last time I ordered from PaPa John Pizza. I ordered a large and paid for a large but when the pizza was placed on the counter it was a medium. Their large is everyone elses medium size. Their sizing is medium, large and extr-large. They said that I could wait for another to be made -grrrr. I said that I would never be back and that was a few years ago. Shysters!!!!!!!!
Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for about this. My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a cup.
THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:
<SNIP>
TomKan wrote:

Tom, Go out and get yourself a nice, reasonable priced faberware drip. At the local grocer pick out a bag of Eight O'Clock dark roast in the brownish colored bag. Grind it yourself there in store, Check out while the cashier smells the bag and comments on how good thatcoffee must be, go home and brew away. Best coffee at a good price and beats Starbuck's hands down.
[...]
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Do NOT ever buy Gevalia coffee. Gevalia is an unrepentant spammer.
Google: gevalia + spam yields 36,000 entries, the first of which is:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7602542 /
"A small California Internet service provider has sued Kraft Foods Inc., alleging the firm is responsible for thousands of illegal spam messages. Hypertouch.com founder Joe Wagner said his company has in the past 12 months received 8,500 copies of an e-mail pitching Kraft's high-end coffee subscription service, Gevalia..."
TomKan wrote:

Rewire the thing by-passing the switch. Plug the pot into a timer.