Moving a toilet, hub, etc....

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that there are some plumbing folks here that might be able to help me figure out what I should do with my toilet. I have posted in this group several times about the work that I am doing on the bathroom in my basement. We ripped out a closet in order to enlarge the bathroom but as a result, the toilet is no longer proportioned with the rest of the room. Basically we want to move the toilet over approximately 16 inches to the left. What we have done so far is to jackhammer the floor to expose the pipe leading to the toilet as well as the hub, and we have jackhammered a new trench for where the toilet will be.

We are planning to use a 45 degree elbow, but we are a bit confused as to whether it should be attached to the hub, or to the pipe itself. I've tried to explain this as best as I can, so please forgive me if its a bit hard to understand:)

Thanks, MrA

Reply to
mravenez

May we asssume that this is cast iron work?

Hub is the big bell end of the pipe. There are special rubber "donuts" that will adapt the hub to iron or PVC sch 40 pipe.

Or...saw the hub off and use a Fernco coupling.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The people that come after you will run a snake down the toilet throat and expect it to keep traveling thru your new connection.

So design your system with that as the sole design criteria and you will be happy with the result. If at all possible add a cleanout to the system as close to the toilet as possible.

Reply to
deke

Hi everyone,

After reading some responses I believe that I just don't have enough plumbing knowledge to attempt this myself. Since the floor is already jackhammered and everything is exposed, would a plumber consider this to be a major job (more than a day I mean).. And how much do plumbers usually charge for something like this.

Thanks, MrA

Reply to
mravenez

Depends greatly on where you live. Anywhere from $100 to $1000.

You could pick up a DIY book at the library...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Part of your problem may lie in the location of the vent. Most plumbing codes require the vent pipe to exit the drain line within 5 feet of the fixture. If you are extending the drain line to the new location of the toilet, you may exceed this requirement which could cause problems with flushing. Your plumber should take this into account when deciding on the amount and cost of the work.

Reply to
EXT