Moving a dryer - OK to lay it on the side or back?

I am moving a gas dryer and was curious if they're OK to lay on their sides or back. Any problems with the bearing, etc?
it's fine. can't imagine why though, they take up less space standing up proper.

I wouldn't. Check the mfg. web site. Maybe they have moving directions in the manual.
Olddog

Sure, but why bother? It's more trouble, and takes up more space. Plus, if you lay it on its side, you may scratch up the enamel finish too. What would be the point?

depending on how old is the dryer i would either move it ( in upward or sideways position - doesn't really matter) or not even bother moving it; we moved 3 yrs. old electric dryer last year to a new house; it quit after few more uses ----- heating elements simply fell apart.........
Best answer = check the manual for moving instructions. Thanks! I will do that, that's probably the best way to start.
Anyway, here are the details
We're moving it in a 2002 VW Golf, which can accommodate a 30x30x48 inch dryer lying down. Not everyone has access to a truck.
Does anyone know anything specific that will hurt a GAS dryer if I lie it down? I can lay it on the side or back.
bryan wrote:

It's just a question of whether any internal parts are partially held in place by gravity. Those could start moving around once the dryer is laid on its side. If you have any of these they might go right back into place when the dryer is turned back upright or they might not. In addition, if anything moves around it might damage itself or other components while doing so.
I would try gently tilting the unit and listen (feel) for any shifting. My guess is that you will be fine. The drum in particular might move around a bit, but that is largely dependent on how long the drive is and how rough the roads.
I would be more worried about a washer than a dryer as dryers just aren't that heavy.
you gonna put the washer and all the furniture in the Golf also???? Jeeeeze.... spend $15 and rent a truck. Someone youknow has one . i guarantee it.

It's a simple question, people. Don't assume things you don't know.
Some of the dry may leak out. Other than that, no concerns.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus