Mouse coming from drywall hole, how to plug up?

A mouse will bite thru a small (1"x1") opening in the drywall bottom corner of the room. Usually, I will shove a bucket load of newspaper into the hole. For a while the mouse would disappear then come back. Evidently, the newspaper is chewed thru once again. What is the best way to plug up the mouse hole for good?
Thanks
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Use steel wool instead of paper. He won't chew that for very long.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know
If you have seen one you probably have 10-20. But it could be rats, pour in pellet poison in the hole and set out traps, then find the exterior openings and seal them as well, but only after they are dead and gone. Flying squirels will chew through walls as well, they look like chipmunks.
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Kill the mouse.
hvacrmedic
-> A mouse will bite thru a small (1"x1") opening in the drywall bottom corner -> of the room. Usually, I will shove a bucket load of newspaper into the -> hole. For a while the mouse would disappear then come back. Evidently, -> the newspaper is chewed thru once again. What is the best way to plug up -> the mouse hole for good?
Steel wool.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Think cat.
You can even borrow one.

Unless you get rid of the mouse, nothing will work permanently. The mouse will just make a new hold someplace.
Sam Nickaby wrote:

You won't keep him out by plugging a hole in drywall. They have no trouble at all chewing through drywall. You need to eliminate the mouse, not try to trap it in your wall.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Sam Nickaby wrote:

What a dumbass... Stick your cat in the hole.
Steel Wool

Ever hear of a mousetrap?
--
Regards,

on the mouse-proofing first. (If you live rural that can be a challenge in itself.) We used traps to effectively reduce our initial infestation. We have 3 cats, only one which is a good "mouser" (He also is good on the common House Sparrow, they are most of the time: "outside" cats, neutered/spayed and declawed, and tom leaves them on our porch as little gifts.) The other two cats I often wonder if they are worth the food we feed them, but they are my wife's...so be it...unless, I want to join them as outside cats. One thing in my experience that others here might find useful is that when we built some six years ago, the Contractors that installed the Septic system (I installed the plumbing myself including the basement sump, traps and PVC pipe to tank) used the white non-expanding foam which is sold under the name of "Great Stuff" to seal around the hole they cut through the block to connect my piping with theirs to the tank. He assured me this was standard practice and would be fine. Well, about six months later we started noticing mice and then rats. I was pretty much baffled as the foundation was new and there were no noticeable holes or tree branches hanging down over the roof. So reluctantly I went from traps to baiting after seeing the first tale tale signs of rats. (I know where they are coming from as we live next door to a farm that is more landfill than farm.) It was only by accident and doing an inspection that I discovered the little rodents have quite an appetite for the 'white' foam Great Stuff. A really big "rat." hole. My fix for this..and I prolly should have went to morter...I went to local farm supply store and bought a can of the expanding (yellow) "Great Stuff" dug out all the white foam, threw in some rocks, and broken glass for good measure and filled the hole back in with the 'yellow'triple expanding foam. It worked, no rats or mice since. (well occasionally we will find one of the little brown and white field mice but I think they come in when I forget to close the basement garage door, or hitch hike in on lawn tractor, etc.) I did mention the rat hole to the farm supply store, now they recommend to customers that they don't use the "white" if it for sealing an outside to inside entrance for the reason that mice will chew through it. HTH :-)

First you got to kill the little fucker. You got your choice of poison, mouse trap, glue trap, and other things you can buy for the situation. I do not recommend using a rifle, but I know someone that did. The problem is that it adds more holes for more mice and the holes usually go thru to the outside.
Then patch the hole as you would any hole, except the one in your wife, that one needs a special tool that you do not want to stick in a mouse hole.

There are several good recipes on the web for cooking mice. Check them out !!!!