Mounting Garden Hose Rack to Stone?

Page 1 of 2
I'm getting conflicting information re: mounting a metal garden hose rack to stone. My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the shields and a masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit it. I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me 1/4" masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws work or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?
Mike;
Mike wrote:

Masonry screws like Tap-con will not work in natural stone. Fastening into natural stone is very different than fastening into concrete and different types of stone are different as well. Go to HD, rent a Hilti hammer drill and a suitable percussion bit (a hammer drill will toast an ordinary masonry bit in short order), and some suitable anchors. The various Hilti anchors are by far the best, but a bit overkill for a hose reel, though for the three of four fasteners needed cost shouldn't be an issue. Trust me on this, if you try to drill natural stone of any hardness with a regular masonry bit and ordinary rotary drill, your arm is likely to fall off and the sun set before you complete the first hole.

Look like the crap I bought from Lowe's is going back and I'll mount the hose reel to the side of the concrete steps.

It only needs two 1/4" screws. When mount to the side of the concrete steps should I seal everything w/ silicone or something when I done?
Mike wrote:

There shouldn't be any need to use silicone anywhere and it will leave a mess to clean off if you decide to move the hose reel at a later point.
The other problem with mounting things to stone walls is that the face of most stone walls is irregular, and all of the anchor points of whatever you are mounting must be right up against the stone or the anchors will just pull out as the screws are tightened. We run into that mounting the electrical disconnect boxes for a/c units. I keep a variety of nuts, washers etc, to use as spacers, as well longer screws to use with stone. Larry

After reading the post I'm going w/ a free standing hose reel.
lp13-30 wrote:

A thick rubber washer will do a good job of adjusting to that irregularity.
Pete C.

There are a variety of anchors made for masonry that will work. You don't have to use the lead shield ones. To hold a hose rack, I'd get the shortest ones you can find. However, I think if what you're doing is drilling holes in the exterior stone of your house to mount a garden hose rack, you're nuts. If it's new construction, most of that stone is just a thin veneer, and frequently it isn't even stone, in which case, you'll go right through the stone. If you insist on doing it, make sure you use caulk to keep the water out.

It's a seventy year old house and the stone is real after reading your post and Pete C's post I believe I'll attach the hose reel to the side of the concrete steps and not attempt the stone mount.
A lot will depend on whether it is stone veneer or solid stone construction and the type of stone used. Granite and other hard stones will be very difficult to drill while limestone or sandstone will be very easy. Cannot tell from here.

It is solid stone in the foundation of a seventy year old house. After reading the relpies I decided to go back yo Lowes and examine a free standing hose reel, which seems to be the way to go.
Mike wrote:

I saw a pretty nice looking free standing hose reel cart at Sam's yesterday. Looked to be beefy enough to no get dragged around when you're pulling hose off it. Seemed to be all metal construction and have the capacity for quite a bit of hose. I might get one to replace the two plastic hose reel carts I currently use for a few hundred feet of hose.
Pete C.

I think you wanted anchors, not shields. What would be shielding what from what?
One of the first things I did was hang a garden hose rack from my wall. One with a crank, no less. I'd always wanted that. But I have brick and only had to drill holes in the mortar, which can be refilled by me or the next owner. I wouldn't have drilled holes in the brick for a garden hose, and I wouldn't do it in your case either. There are lots of alternatives.

Good point, I'm going to check out the free standing hose reel rack which I should have done in the first place.

Check these out http://www.rapidreel.com/products/garden_hose_family
I finally got tired of the crappy plastic reels and bought a serious heavy duty one. Glad I did. Not cheap, but wow, what a great reel. Wish I had done it years ago. They are available at discounts on the web if you do a Google search.

It's very nice but it's overkill for what I need

I'd have said that a few years ago too, but I've since learned different. Avoid the $25 models by Mainstays at WalMart and such. . I bought one last year and tossed it in the trash this year. More frustration than it was worth.

Your buddy said to go to HD. Why did you go to Lowes instead?
--
--Tim Smith

Mike wrote:

Why not make a concrete pad with an anchor built in? When the reel falls apart, our you want a different location, it could be removed without scarring the house. There are reels built into plastic boxes that look a little nicer, or you could build something to hold it.