mounting a safe

Page 2 of 2
benick wrote:

One pistol will easily fit in a document safe. The purpose of the gun is not to be protected by the safe, it is to shoot several times a gremlin that has some less effective method of forcing to you to open the damn thing (such as a knife to the throat of your wife). Hint: shoot the hostage first.
Gun safes are to protect guns. A single gun IN a safe is to protect you.
As an aside: One problem with safety deposit boxes is that people can get in them without your knowledge or permission - such as the Attorney General with a valid warrant.

If you have said gun ON YOU he will never get that far , he will be dead already...A concealed weapon permit is much better than a gun hidden in a safe...You and SWMBO might be dead BEFORE the perp descovers the hiudden safe with the gun...What then???If the AG has a search warrant , your house will be searched at the same time...You will have to find a better spot than a safe or a SDB to hide your illegal stuff and drug money...LOL...An airtight container buried out back , perhaps???
benick wrote:

Your points are well taken.
I ALWAYS have a gun on me (except when taking a shower, sleeping, or playing hide the pickle).
I have a concealed handgun license and never leave home without carrying two pistols (admittedly one's not much - a five-shot .22 revolver - but it's my BUG (Back Up Gun)).
True about the AG, but putting your valuables in a safety deposit box is like burying Pharaoh under ten billion tons of stone blocks - it's just a question of determination.
And it's often the "legal" stuff that gets you in trouble. In the '60s, in a book called "Up the Organization" Peter Townsead made the point about purging your files: "In a dispute with the taxing authorities, your records will convict you irrespective of whether you're guilty."

Yes they did get too expensive.
--
Best regards
Han
djay wrote:

Actually, the "conduit" was a 3+" hunk of 3/4" PVC.
Yeah, except the thread-all passes through four slabs and the bottom of the safe.
Once I got everything in place, I built a plywood shell for the slabs. Looks like the safe is sitting on a block of wood. This safe contains data disks and is about desk high. I just scoot my chair to the end of my desk, go tappity-tappity on the combination, and I'm in businsess.

Add a tow chain, say ten feet. Anchored in the floor and tack welded to the safe, they could only run so far.

Drill 4 holes in the bottom of the safe placing them so your wrench will fit over the heads of the fasteners you will use. Place the safe where you want it and mark the holes carefully with a pencil. You might also find it helpful to mark the outside corners in the event something moves you will know.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:

When my father in law had a business he had two big freaking safes and a cheap wall safe in his office. About 15 years ago it finally happened, while they were gone somone broke in and tried to steal the safes. They must have planned it pretty well because they cut the wall safe out of the wall with a chain saw and had rented a truck with a lift gate to move the safes. The thieves didnt know they had set off a silent alarm and were caught trying to leave the property. My father in law never told anyone there was nothing of value in the safes. He had always kept his valuables in a floor safe hidden under a cabinet. The thieves were 3 ft away from $100,000 in cash.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

The cash might as well have been on the moon. How do you crack a floor safe?
Maybe I can answer my own question: With a jackhammer and huge air compressor you could probably break up the concrete. That takes what? A half-hour? Then you can probably yank the sucker and carry it off.
Definitely not a 'crash-and-dash' job.