Moulding/Trim Question

I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.
I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just make it a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms of the cabinets.
In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a medium oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area and it will has white trim now.
Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak color?
Any feedback if greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Kate
On 4/3/2011 9:50 PM Kate spake thus:

Are you really sure you want to base your decision on answers from folks on an online forum, sight unseen? First of all, it's a pretty subjective choice, one you'll ultimately have to make yourself. And it's pretty hard to "see" Opal Oak, "medium cinnamon-oak colored" or any other color (especially a subtle shade) in a text-based forum.
I'm just sayin' ...
(I do sympathize with you: as a handyman, I'm often asked such questions ("What do you think would look better?"), which I usually try to duck, explaining that I'm not the one who's gonna have to live with the choice.)
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
On 4/3/2011 11:16 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

You have a good point - I am the one who will have to live with it. I think either way will be OK, but I always like different opinions. I need to bring in friends, and not online folks who can't see the total layout.
Thanks for your input.
clipped

And it's nice to get trusted opinions that agree with one's own :o) I probably would have trouble deciding, even with good photos of the rooms...one thought I have is that contrasting trim tends to cut up the room, rather than blend into a whole. Several of the paint companies have websites where you can upload pix of a room and play with the colors in your image to try them out.

And remember that friends always don't have a designer background. My wife used to be in charge of interiors at the old Sands Hotel in Las Vegas. She can explain that "you need to have light/dark colors in this situation, need to have lateral lines to accentuate the room, need to use patterns to break up the angularity", things like that I have no idea what she's talking about, and neither would the normal person. I am in my third remodel now in ten years. At the time, I gripe about changes, and some of her ideas, but when the job is done, I have to admit that all three have turned out really nice. We have had builder friends over for dinner, and they ask, "Where did you get this? or "What gave you this idea?"
Normal people just look at the overall effect, and if it is in their favorite colors, they like it. Finding someone with a little design background gives you the in depth answer you are seeking, and most often than not, there's someone like that at even the Home Depots and Lowe's who can show you some options you might not have even thought of. There's a lot more to it than colors.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Can I borrow her? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/4/2011 8:09 AM, Steve B wrote:

Like you Steve, I don't understand all the jargon either. But, I do very well with interior decorating and help a lot of my friends. For some reason, this one has me stumped.
Thanks.

Then listen to your gut.
Steve
Kate wrote:

1. You can't go wrong with white. I may not be the best, but it's certainly not the worst.
2. If you have the skills - or want to gain them - take a picture of the existing setup. Then manipulate the picture with graphics editing software, applying the various colors to the target areas. Print each choice.
On 4/4/2011 4:41 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I like your idea. Thanks.

White trim with wood cabinets is pretty common. I have oak kitchen cabinets and white trim.
On 4/4/2011 4:49 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Ah, just what I was looking for. I am leaning towards keeping them white. This way, the entire house would still have the same trim color.
Thanks.

Define "bad".
Are you building this for yourself, or for the satisfaction of friends, neighbors, and your lovely in-laws?
Some people like white trim with wood colored cabinets. Others don't. It's all up to you. YOU go find some at an interior decorator shop or HD, and look at it and see if it looks "bad" to YOU. Remember, like bathroom floors, spend a little more because you're going to be looking at it for a long long time.
"Bad" to me would be some combinations of puce, lime, and yellow with a little industrial red and blue thrown in for effect.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On 4/4/2011 8:02 AM, Steve B wrote:

Most but not all of the decorators I worked with over the years thought that trim should be one unified color throughout the home. Exceptions were made for a man cave paneled study but otherwise they held true to that .
My personal take is do what you want.
--
Colbyt
On 4/4/2011 3:20 PM, Colbyt wrote:

I am leaning towards keeping the white trim. I have medium oak vanities in my bathrooms and they have a white trim around the bottoms. I guess I never noticed it before because you don't see the trim unless you are in the bathtub or shower. It really does look nice.
Thanks.