Motion-Detector Light and Deer

Page 1 of 2
I have a deer (or a very large rabbit) eating hostas in our back yard. Would a motion detector security light scare it away? I don't want to put any poisons or other such things out there.

It would scare it away for about 4 days until they figure out it's harmless. I know this from experience. There are only two ways to stop deer. Fences or guns. Some people say get a dog, but then you're just trading one annoyance for another and pissing off your neighbors.
deer. Fences or

I have a 4' fence. I guess I need 6' or 8'. I think discharging a firearm would piss off my neighbors a good bit more than a dog.

True. I've been trying without luck to hire a hit man for the deer around my yard. It's actually legal here (NY) to eliminate animals which destroy food crops, but in this neighborhood, only a bow & arrow would be legal. It's not a skill I have.

My neighbor says hostas are 'deer lettuce'.
The deer like the light, they can see what they are eating better.
I'm having pretty good success with deer repellents. I started with 'Shotgun' from Home Depot. Worked great. Last time I went they had something else which I'm using now. It seems to be working too. Look on the bottle, make sure it says it repels with smell and taste. You have to reapply after rain or every couple of weeks. We're almost to the end of August and my hostas are in one piece. That's a record for me.

I have seen motion detector water sprayers. Don't know how they work, though.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

My folks have these in their yard and they work well. Have gotten a soaking right in the ear once or twice when I walk into the yard and forget they are there.
-Chris http://auslunch.com /

In what way do they work well? Have they completely stopped the deer from doing damage?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Yes, in the areas they are pointing at. The kind they have just hook into a hose and you aim them at a particular part of the yard. So the coverage is only the area they are pointed at. They have one in the front that covers a large bed of ivy, probably 15' in diameter (and the sprinkler is maybe 10' from the bed, aimed towards it). When activated, it will make one quick sweep across the area like those sprinklers you see on football fields and such.
The downsides are: 1. Requires hose to be out at all times. 2. Somewhat unsightly sticking out of the yard. 3. Will spray humans walking within its coverage area. 4. Has limited coverage.
If you have a limited area you want to protect, it seems to do the trick.
For their backyard, they are going to increase the fence height to 6' I think. That will keep them out of there.
This looks like a similar product: http://www.safepetproducts.com/pilot.asp?pg=scarecrow_main
-Chris http://auslunch.com /
I have infra-red motion detector impulse sprinklers positioned in two of my garden beds that work amazingly well. Their range is 35-45' out, and anything moving across the field of sensitivity (about 45 degrees) gets a good douse. They're made by Scarecrow (google-able) and I got them by ordering them at the website (about 79$ each). I did a lengthy review on Epinions with all the details and some downsides as well. I have seen deer walk into their range and trigger the device and the sound alone of the impulse sprinkler makes the deer startle and bound away, even before the water hits them. I have unprotected beds of impatiens that have almost lasted through the summer using this device. They did get to the beds partially twice before they entered the sensitive field. Also, the watering from "false triggering" (about a cup of water for each false trigger) keeps the impatiens well watered, but did make them grow so well that they became tall enough to block the motion detector! So, I had to stake the device to a higher stake. In addition to these devices, I also use deer netting and bird netting draped over hosta beds, as well as 6' fences constructed from 6' metal poles and draped with deer netting for my veggie garden, roses, and other beds which are out of view of curbside (very ugly, IMO). Chris wrote:

Have you thought about getting a motion detection that has an outlet on it and then connecting it to a radio....I would think that even a low volume would run the deer off.
Terry
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I have heard folks talk about a "Rainbird" type sprinkler head that has a motion sensor on it. Deer shows up, valve releases, deer gets pelted with the dangerous dihydrogenmonoxide and additinally is startled by the sound of he "rainbird" ratcheting through its cycle.
I think I saw it demonstrated n ne of the TOH spnoffs -- probably an "ASk This Old House" show.
Even if you don't have an installed sprinkler system, I've seen hose connected metal bases for the "Rainbird" type heads.
No idea who carries these, but I'm sure the BORG doesn't.
Shotgun ammo is bound to be cheaper. One New Jersey style pumpkin ball and you've got fresh meat.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Andy writes; An electric fence of the type used for cattle with the following modifications:
Hang aluminum strips about 2 feet long every 15 feet or so. Smear them with peanut butter.
The deer see the strips and smell the peanut butter and then try to eat it. It knocks them for a loop. They learn, after about 2 tries, to stay the hell away...
You may have to repair the fence the first couple of time because the deer become airborne and may fall on the fence.....
By the way, it doesn't hurt the deer any more than taking a piss on an electric fence.... Not deadly, but unpleasant, and they learn FAST... ( ..... just like I did :>))))) )
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Andy wrote: ...

Reminds me of an old bull we had years ago--just loved to push the fence over or walk through irregardless of how stout it was so we strung a hot wire around the inside. They can, of course, smell the ozone and anything new raises no end of curiousity as well, so he investigated most thoroughly and then reached out and licked it--needless to say, the last time he approached it closely. :)
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Actually, we've found that the smellier deodorant soaps (like Irish Spring, etc.) tied in an old stocking are pretty effective in the apple trees, on the wife's moonflowers, etc. Much cheaper than the commercial repellents if your particular deer doesn't like them, either.

You need an 8' fence. They can jump over a 6' fence. They'll get used to the lights too, after a while.
How 'bout a paintball gun? Paintballs at close distance (5 yards or so) hurt a lot and they hardly make any noise.
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:04:22 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

No. Use rabbit fence or deer netting. Or you can try products such as "Deer Away" or dust the plants after each rainfall with blood meal.

I've learned it's more trouble than it's worth trying to keep deer away from our plants. I either have to erect a tall unsightly fence, or rig up something smelly/noisy that will deter them for a while. Dogs are more of a nuisance than the deer, so that's not an option either.
We actually love to see the deer visiting our property, though sadly they don't come around much anymore with all the development in our area. So, we don't really want to scare them away anyway.
So, rather than fight with the deer, I've learned to work with them. I avoid plants deer love to eat (hostas, impatients, etc.), and select plants that deer don't particularly care for (marigolds, dianthus, etc.). The deer may "sample" a plant every now and then if they are really hungry, but for the most part they leave our plants alone. No fences or deterents needed.
In fact, I can usually sneak in a plant they would normally eat, as long as it's surrounded by plants they don't like. Not 100% foolproof, but it beats a fence.
Anthony

The deer here like to munch EVERYTHING in my vegetable garden except the kale. But, it's amazing that you can get cantaloupes from a plant with almost no leaves.

We haven't done a garden in years, but yes, it was like a buffet for the deer and rabbits. :)
I built a fence around the garden which "mostly" kept them out, but every once in a while they would get hungry enough to try jumping the fence. On a few occasions they hit the fence on the way over, and then I had to repair the fence. :)
Anthony