Motion Detecting Lights in Bathrooms - Code??

Page 3 of 3
Norminn wrote:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publications/CEC-400-2005-005/chapters_4q/6_Lighting.pdf

From further down in the same document:
*******************
A luminaire is the lighting industry’s term for light fixture. A luminaire consists of the housing, power supply (ballast), lamp, reflector, and in some cases a lens. A lamp is the lighting industry’s term for a light bulb. Luminaires can be designed to be recessed into the ceiling, suspended by a rod or chain, or surface mounted on the wall or ceiling.
A high efficacy luminaire is one that contains only high efficacy lamps and must not contain a conventional (medium) screw-based socket. Typically, high efficacy luminaires contain, pin-based sockets, like compact or linear fluorescent lamp sockets, though other types such as screw sockets specifically rated for high intensity discharge lamps (like metal halide lamps) may also be eligible for exterior use.
Luminaires with modular components that allow conversion between screw-based and pin-based sockets without changing the luminaire housing or wiring shall not be considered high efficacy luminaires. These requirements prevent low efficacy lamps being retrofitted in high efficacy luminaires. Also, compact fluorescent luminaires with permanently installed ballasts that are capable of operating a range of lamp wattages, the highest operating input wattage of the rated lamp/ballast combination must be use for determining the luminaire wattage.
There are two qualifying requirements for a high efficacy luminaire: that the lumens per watt for the lamp be above a specified threshold and that electronic ballasts be used in certain applications.
*************************************
So, I guess the guy who decided to put those motion detectors in our office building's bathrooms over ten years ago was way ahead of his time. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
on 9/3/2007 8:14 PM Norminn said the following:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publications/CEC-400-2005-005/chapters_4q/6_Lighting.pdf

Well, if California was on the east coast, it would run from NYC to the Georgia border. How much electricity is used in those 7 or so states in hot weather? (exclude the rest of NYS, since it is all north of NYC)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Megawatts (May 07)
California - 16,601
New Jersey - 4,550 Delaware - 481 Maryland - 3,855 North Carolina - 10,463 South Carolina - 7,908 Georgia - 12,571
Total - 26,253
This doesn't count New York (11,537), D.C. (~1), West Virginia (7,992), or Pennsylvania (17,971)
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table1_6_a.html
Add pictures here
✖

No. Thousands of megawatt hours, vs megawatts, ie energy vs power.

Nick
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table1_6_a.html
Add pictures here
✖
Funny guy, you hit a Canadian site and luminaire is the French word for a light fixture. But to every cloud there is a silver ( probably mercury) lining, I was actually looking for that site :o)
Montreal

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publications/CEC-400-2005-005/chapters_4q/6_Lighting.pdf
Add pictures here
✖
claude wrote:

I wonder about my sanity, often but briefly :o) I KNOW I had been on the website for San Jose, California, USA. I googled again, got to California, turned left and ended up in Canada again :o)
Go here:
http://www.sanjoseca.gov/building/Electric.asp
Under "Kitchen and Bath Lighting", click on the "Residential T-24 Energy Manual ...............
Add pictures here
✖
claude wrote:

......and I'm not a guy. Merci.
Add pictures here
✖

Unfortunately the US NFPA found that same site. Luminaire is the word they decided on for US light fixtures too. It has been that way for the last few cycles. I guess we should call them "freedom fixtures"
Add pictures here
✖