Motion detecting lamp fittings for indoors

De nada :-)

Reply to
Jimk

Jimk

Jimk

I thought I'd seen this sort of thing at Screwfix or Toolstation but I can't see anything like it now. There's lots of PIR detectors and outside lantern type fittings with PIR but nothing in the bathroom type of light.

I actually want it for a utility room where there is no chance of an occupant being stationary.

So, can anyone point me at a fairly bland ceiling LED light fitting with PIR built in?

Reply to
Chris Green

Ebay may be your best bet.

ss

Why not fit one of the microwave (rather than PIR) sensing lamps in your own fitting?

They seem to be more of an AliExpress type of item, I did find one on amazon, but it's on the expensive side, another on eBay but it's on the slow boat

Andy Burns

Toolstation still have one I looked at a while back but felt had an out of date 2D fitting, was ugly as sin, with a polycarbonate cover which seem to absorb an awful lot of light. But them's just my value judgments ;)

Robin

And that's the rub isn't it. I'd love to have automatic lights throughout the house but don't want them going of if we are sitting still. I'm guessing there may be some clever tech out there that might work as needed by now (RADAR complained with PIR or something)?

Sorry no (but would also be interested in any answers for my mums cupboard_under_the_stairs).

FWIW, we a motion detecting (LED) lamp holder / adaptor in the hall that seems to do the same as you require? It's quite long so may be an issue if height is an issue (tall ceilings here so it's not). It is also adjustable sensitivity dusk_to_dawn with PIR movement detection that has an adjustable 'On' time and seems pretty reliable.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

PIR fitted to light switch instead of it being in the light fitting?

alan_m

Microwave is fine, I just said PIR to indicate what I wanted it to do rather than any particular technology.

It's not urgent and I use AliExpress quite a lot so I'll take a look there, thanks.

Reply to
Chris Green

Their search (which is awful) didn't find that for me, thanks, it's a possibility as beauty is not a requirement. It's a pity it's not LED though.

Reply to
Chris Green

Exactly what I want! Thank you. It's not surprising my searches on Toolstation didn't find it though as it doesn't even say it's got a motion detector until you look at the details and/or selection box.

Reply to
Chris Green

A "wardrobe" switch on the door?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Doesn't really work for this case as the reason for wanting it is that I'm about to bury the light switch behind a cupboard and I don't fancy digging new holes in the wall to move it.

Reply to
Chris Green

I'm confused. From the straight description they seem to be stand-alone radar lamps but the feedback talks of Alexa?

"Microwave radar can through wall, glass, board, etc without the barrier of metal."

So, if you had one in the hall, separated from the lounge by a non foil-backed internal wall, you move in the lounge and the hall light comes on (and stays on if they are working the way most people hope, eg, 'occupancy')?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Probably because that listing contains two types of item, one is a sensor lamp, the other is a wifi smart lamp

possibly, depending on range/direction/etc, I daresay the usual youtube channels have reviewed them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And the feedback isn't particularly encouraging. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We could but that means modding the actual wiring itself, rather than say just changing the lamp fitting or lamp.

And we would have to make sure it was set right as I sometimes open the door slightly to hang my coat on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Doh, thanks (I wish they wouldn't do that).

Noted.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We have automatic LED tubes lights that go off if there's no movement after about 20mins or so, but sometimes when students are just sitting at the PC's typing the lights go off.

They definantly go off when a student falls asleep at the PC, which is what I would expect them to do, both students and the lights.

Might be expensove though, but handy for my cat having lights come on so she can see her food bowl ;-)

why not use a good old fashion microswitch either with or without a reed swtich, like fridge doors use.

Reply to
whisky-dave