Moth Ball Smell in Central Air Conditioner

Last week, I opened a box of mothballs in my living room which were eventually placed outside the rear of my house to prevent animals from coming near.
Somehow, the smell of the mothballs is still lingering. I've tried electric air cleaners, sprays, gels...and nothing works.
I believe the odor has gotten into my central air conditioning unit since every time the A/C turns on, the smell gets worse.
Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell. I can't open the windows in the living room because the moth balls are spread around the outside of the windows.
TIA

How did you hold them?? by the wings?? or the legs?? Maybe if you gave your moth balls a bath once in a while, they wouldn't have an odor :-)
Noon-Air wrote:

    Did I mention that the company that reinsulated our glycol plate frame heat exchanger weren't as thorough as they could have been? One of the engineers in our energy department looked at it, and told me, "Vicki, your nuts are sweating." I didn't have an answer for that one.
snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com says... :) Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell. I can't open the windows in the :) living room because the moth balls are spread around the outside of the :) windows :) Heat and time will break it down. Walk around the home and gather the moth balls from around the home then open your windows when it has quit lingering outside..quit hanging around people who would actually suggest using moth boths as a pest aid other than what it is designed for and be glad you didn't throw them up in the attic.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
says...

I believe their purpose is perfume for grandmothers.
Give grandma a bath............

FB wrote:

Were you born that stupid, or did your mama make you take lessons later in life?
--
Black Dragon

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Sounds like you threw the moth balls outside near the fresh air intake to your A/C unit. Could this be the case? Even if some fumes did enter the ducts when you had the box open, they would be long gone by now unless there was a fresh source.

Therefore, you are probably pulling fresh fumes in from the stuff outside.
Which do you prefer, the smell or the animals which stay outside.
Retrieve and dispose of the original mothballs and the smell will go away.

Fresh air intake??? He's got central air. Do some types have an intake duct from the outside?

Some might or maybe the A/C is causing a negative pressure in the house which is drawing contaminated air from outside the window.
Don't know how well the house is sealed or if there any leaks in the system or if it feeds multiple zones or even it it might really be a heat pump.
Try wafting some smoke from a match near the windows while the A/C is running or starting and see if there is a draft through the window drawing the smell in.
I just don't believe that the smell can stick to the inside of an A/C duct even if it were very dusty. It has to be coming from the source if it is intensifying at any time.
How did you get their little legs spread apart?
Put some dog poop next to your a/c. That'll take care of the moth ball smell. Remember to change it frequently.