More leakers.

Page 1 of 4
Found 47 (forty seven) leaky D cell Rayovac batteries I'd not noticed before. Last batch was 16, if memory serves.
What brand works better, and less likely to leak? I know, this is likely to start a flame war.
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:34:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Not a flame; just a personal observation.
In twenty plus years I have only had one pack of leaky batteries. While that was a brand name, it was 5 or 6 years beyond the expiration date on the package. It would be hard for me to blame the manufacturer for the fact that they got stuck on a shelf and forgotten - literally for years.
The ones I used when I bought the package, gave a good service life and were run to exhaustion and replaced with no problem.
What do you do that gives so many failures ?
Are you still trying to charge one-use alkaline batteries ?
Winston_Smith wrote:

Hi, Maybe he stores his batteries in an improper spots? Like a warm location? Batteries don't like heat.
From what I can figure, the companies recommend the proverbial cool, dry, dark place. That being refrig- erator, but not freezer. I had stored some on a high shelf in the bedroom. These were on low shelf in the hall. Yes, they do get some heat in the summer, but not like car trunk for example.
I've put as many as I can, into the refrigerator. When and if the replacements come, I'll cram them into the refrig, some how. This is really getting disappointing.
Hope the replacements arrive before the hurricane, power cut, EmP, or other need.
On 9/4/2013 7:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 18:33:17 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Which brings to mind the next question - why do you need so many batteries?
I have perhaps two dozen mixed AA and AAA enloops. That serves all my needs emergency and everyday. More expensive at start up but surely, less cost in the long run and certainly less grief.
I certainly don't need everything at any given moment so even in a power outage I'm OK for quite a long time. I can recharge from 120 VAC in normal times and if the world ends, from the cigarette lighter, or a small solar panel.
Add to that a half dozen AA alkalines for older equipment that doesn't tolerate the lower NiMH voltage, six Ds for my ancient but beloved AM/FM/SW boom box (which has high current draw), and a spare 9 V for the smoke alarm.
Not much and no problems. This should not be a career.
On 9/4/2013 5:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're supposed to let the batteries warm up to room temperature before using. If you go through a fair number of batteries like I do, you shouldn't have to refrigerate them before going through them. I've been buying dollar store alkaline batteries and none of them have leaked. Of course, I never leave any batteries in a hot vehicle long enough for the heat to affect them and here in Alabamastan, I'm sure I encounter much higher temperatures in my environment than y'all Yankees do. ^_^
TDD
Ideally, I'd like to have "just enough" batteries to meet my needs for the week, or month. Some part of my view of the world is that things are about to shut down. So, I like to have extra this or that on hand.
We have Dollar Tree, up nawth. They have four AA or AAA alkalines in package, which is a good price. As to C and D size, packs of three, carbon zincs.

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 03:35:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Just stay the hell away from Sunbeam batteries unless you buy them and use them immediately. They DO leak like sieves.
"
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 03:35:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon

You have posted your view that a melt down is immanent three or four times over the last ten years. So far .... Yeah, complete social/economic collapse and a return to the dark ages is a possibility. A more immediate possibility is economic collapse. There will be batteries at the stores, you just won't have the money to buy them.
Rather than store tons of batteries, one shot ones at that, you would be far better off with a few high quality rechargeable ones and one or more ways to charge them without commercial power.
If it's a minor bump, say a hurricane** a modest supply should do if you have picked your equipment wisely and give some care to conserving your usage.
If it's TEOTWAWKI, even a big stash of one-shots only buys you say a month or so before you have to face the music. Even a stash of rechargeable only buys you perhaps a year or two.
For the end of the world - things like candles are a much better reserve item. In point of fact, your only practical choice will be to live your (new) life in sync with when the sun is up. For that situation, you should be thinking renewable resources, not a stash of high tech production items, with just in time delivery, from places far away, requiring non-existent fuels for transportation.
Short power outage or end of the world Martian invasion, I have a hard time seeing a stash of one-shot batteries - with a shelf life - and a proven bad history - as a wise precaution.
** Isn't it about time for your annual thread about how can WE prepare for the upcoming hurricane season. It's a staple, right up there with Sandy Claws coming to town.
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 03:35:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Alkalines have a shelf life of around two years. I buy them by the hundred ($.20 each). Other than heat, the biggest killer of alkalines is leaving them in the appliance discharged.
So, what do you do with hundreds of AA cells?
I invested in some NiMH which I use for mini mag light, and digital camera.
Does your device refuse the lower voltages?

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 17:39:36 -0400, Stormin Mormon
Flashlights, battery backup for clock radios. Almost everything seems to use AAs. Some of my flashlights are AAA (remote controls use a lot of these). A 100 pack lasts us about a year.

They're always dead when I need them. Alkalines are cheap enough that I don't bother, much, with rechargables. The rechargeables I use are almost all LiIon. I do have AA NiCds in a couple of computer mice. They get charged constantly (recharge cradle) which isn't really good for NiCds but I've had them for almost 10 years and have had to replace the AA NiCds once (one each mouse).

Can't be bothered. I find that primary batteries are better in flashlights and such.

CY: I go through a lot of AA cells. Some Rayovac "stay charged" do OK in my flashlight and digi cam. I use a few AAA cells in flashlights.

CY: I did that for a long time. Bought some newer Rayovac, and they seem OK, and the stay charge ones are also good. For the money, not worth the bother for you, I see. I can understand that.
The rechargeables I use are

CY: That's good results.

CY: Glad that works for you.

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 14:14:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I bought some Duracell Coppertops about three months ago.
The 9V package says guaranteed 5 years and the battery itself says 2017 on it.
The AA package says guaranteed 10 years and the battery itself says 2022 on it.
On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 18:46:00 -0700, Winston_Smith

Yeah, that's what they say. I may believe it with the premium quality batteries but not with the cheap Chinese stuff. They're cheap enough to toss. Leaks aren't worth risking.
The Rayovac D cells that leaked, were all within date. I've got some Infinity Beyond from Ebay, the AAA nearly all leaked. The AA are dated to 2006, and still going strong.
I do like to keep batteries in a couple things, flashlights and fluorescent closet light. Never sure which will last, leak, etc.
ROV wrote back, they are sending coupons to help replace the leakers. They sent some coupons to help with the C cells that leaked (but were out of date).

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 20:09:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Did they leak before they were used? I've found that alkalines never leak until they're used and then go downhill fast. They may have a long "shelf life" but once used they don't last long (maybe a year) before leaking.

Yeah, I just buy the cheapest flashlights I can find. If the batteries leak, so be it. I try to change the batteries frequently but if I forget, I haven't lost much. Clocks are another thing. :-(

The premium battery companies say they'll replace the appliance if their products leak. From all reports I've heard, they do a decent job but they still leak. It's easier to buy cheap and replace often.

CY: Yes, new, sealed in the packages.
I've found that alkalines never

CY: I didn't know that. Thank you.

CY: I've got a couple LED mag lights, would be nasty to lose those to leakers. If I had a bunch around the house, I'd probably use Dollar Tree 2D, and like you say, not a big loss. Clocks, yes, eight or so bucks each. I change clock batteries here and church, with the time change in spring and fall. Need 26 batteries for all the clocks at church. Home, clocks and also two for the thermostat.

CY: I've done that once, when Duracells leaked in a friend's mag light. I mailed it back to Duracell for him, and they sent a prepaid debit card, which could be used for flashlight, or any other thing.

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:52:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Amazing. Never seen that one.
<snip> >> Yeah, I just buy the cheapest flashlights I can find. If the

..or $200 each (Internet clock radio).

I've heard similar from others. If the appliance is worth anything, brand-name batteries (copper of bunny) are probably the way to go.
On 09/07/2013 08:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Actually those little single AA quartz clock mechanisms are available and cheap. I tend to like my flashlights though!
As I posted last night, I actually lost another one yesterday to leakers... but it was a 2xC cell "Task Force" light so I'm only out $30ish. Other than a 4xD Mag-Lite, it's probably the light that I have with the worst weight-to-light-output ratio, could have been worse...
I didn't do anything wrong with this one though, just happened to check it and found the cells leaking. It was in my nightstand drawer in case the power went out, lived in the glovebox of a car for a while before that, but in any case was rarely used and the cells were still good. If there was any "abuse" might be temperature extremes, but still...
Worst part is I've bought literally dozens of NiMH AA and AAA cells in an attempt to eradicate all alkalines from my life but haven't got around to the few larger-cell devices yet. I'm going to have to do that soon, as one of those devices is my Simpson 260, and if I lost that I'd be mad. ("just take the batteries out when you're not using it" isn't a viable strategy as it takes about 5-10 minutes to do so.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel