More cement mixing, and HF vs. HD

Awl--
In my shop-floor pouring travails (at least preparing for them), I gained some inneresting insights.
1. Harbor Freight, ito of info, is even more useless than HD, if you can imagine that. In their various cement mixers, it is not clear from the cu ft declarations, if the cu ft refer to the *mixable* cu ft or the drum cu ft. Plus, the prices for the various "sizes" are all over the map--no correlation between size and price. Supposedly $199 for a 3.5 cu ft unit, altho it's not at all clear what that 3.5 cu ft refers to.
The Husky mixer at HD is clear: $299 for a 5.0 cu ft drum, which will mix 2.5 cu ft. An 80# bag of ready mix yields about 0.6 cu ft of concrete, so the HD mixer will take, at least on paper, about 4 bags--considerably more than the vague references on the HF site.
2. Next, I was shocked to discover the following. That it winds up being more than 2x as expensive to mix yer own cement/gravel/sand as it is to just mix typical ready mix! I calc'd $6.66/cu ft using ready mix, vs. about $14+ mixing the ingredients yerself. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow..... You can approx'ly check the calcs: $10 for 94 lbs cement, which yields 4.5 cu ft concrete, and which requires 250-300# sand (at $4 for 60 lbs) plus 300 lbs of gravel (at $4/60 lbs). Some of the data posted conflicts, but this is more or less correct. HD prices. Stunning. Which means buying ready mix is a no brainer.
But why would ready mix be so much cheaper??
3. HD can be surprisingly close to HF in prices, for things like moving dollies, 100 ft 12-3 extension cords, other stuff. HD of course nails you on myriads of other stuff (including nails), as does even HF, when they attempt to sell Merkin items, like Channellock, etc.--no bargains at all.
But HD is the supernova example of the ongoing fleecing of America. W/ Bob Nardelli swearing that HD is a savior of society. It is, in fact, the moth eggs on our social fabric.
Support your local hardware store, whenever possible. -- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
PV, just how much concrete do you need to mix? It is not that hard to just mix concrete in a one wheeled dolly with a steel tub (forgot what it is called), and then it is easy to dump into wherever you need to pour it. Not for large quantities, obviously. One bag at a time. One bag == one gallon of water == 3 minutes mixing time with a shovel. Leather gloves help a lot.

Wheelbarrow.

Yea, wheelbarrow, that's it. Works great for mixing concrete, or taking out chicken manure.
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:32:15 GMT, Ignoramus19383

And you dont mix it in a wheel barrow with a shovel..use a hoe instead. Works eversomuch better.
Gunner
"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Thanks Dave! Yes, all is well and all are very busy. :)
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com