Mold on window

I just bought a ten year old house with air exchanger and just noticed some mold on most of the windows. It doesn't look like it is between the panes. It looks like it's between the outside of the exterior glass and the vinyl border. I can see it looking out from the inside (green against the white vinyl) but don't see the same thing when I'm outside looking in.

So, I don't think the seals are gone. The black rubber between the panes looks clean. They are regular double pane casement windows. And yes, we get a lot of rain here. LOL

Anything I can do to get rid of the mold?

Thanks

Reply to
Just me

The glass cannot be removed.

Reply to
Just me

What makes you think it is mould (rather than the way the interior rubber cushioning reacts to sunlight)? The windows were sealed at the factory and it is not likely mould spores both were present and could find nutritive materials within the seal.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

If it were reacting to sunlight, I would expect the north facing windows to have none - but they do. And since the growth is on the exterior side, it's sheltered from the sun (there is none on the interior pane anywhere - which is exposed to sunlight). It's also only occurring on the bottom portion and at no other part of the window, so if it were sun, it would affect the entire window equally. The colour of the growth is green and being in a sheltered part of the window, with a wet climate, it's not hard to determine it's mold or some form of growth that shouldn't be there.

The only suggestion I've gotten is to use clear caulk on the lip of the window on the outside since the water is obviously getting in behind the vinyl. Barring any other suggestions, I will try that. If I can cut off the supply of moisture, it should kill what is growing there.

Reply to
Just me

It's not easily accessible. Even if I could, I see no reason to test it. It's on the exterior of the window so that it's not affecting the internal air quality.

I just need to find a way to keep the moisture out so that it doesn't spread any farther. Soaking the area with the javex based solution then caulking it seems to be the only solution.

Reply to
Just me

om...

To start with, are you talking about thermopane windows, double-hung windows, with storm windows, or what?? Can you take a picture to show us?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Squirt bottle with bleach and water.

Reply to
Ron

That seems to be the immediate answer. If the water can get in there to grow the stuff, the bleach can get in to kill it. Then a thin bead of caulk later to keep the water out.

Thanks

Reply to
Just me

He doesn't need to remove the glass. He's already stated that the mildew/mold is between the outer piece of glass and the stop.

Also, w/o knowing exactly what kind of window that he has, most likely the glass is also sealed to the inner frame...not just sitting there with only the stops to hold it in place.

Spray bottle with a mixture of bleach and water or straight bleach will take care of the problem.

Reply to
Ron