You need more than Kilz. You need to physically remove the
efflorescence. The mold you can kill with a dilute bleach solution, but if
you want the wall to look good, you will need to remove it physically as
well. Depending on the situation a good power washer might be the tool.
Yea, repainting if you want it to look good will be needed.
Note. There is no use in killing the mold or removing it and the
efflorescence unless you have addressed the reason you got it to begin with
and 98.42% of the time that problem is outside not in the basement.
Go to a pool supply store and buy a gallon of chlorine. Lowe's has
inexpensive hand sprayers that you can use to apply the chlorine (do not
dilute it). Try a small test area first (if it is going to work it will do
so in a matter of minutes) and wear eye and skin protection! That stuff is
The source of the efflorescence is slowly migrating water containing
dissolved minerals. Should be removable by simple washing. Blocking
the water will stop the deposits, so check the market for known good
products of that type. HTH
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.