Moen 1200 Cartridge - Which way is up?

In all the post I found about replacing a Moen 1200/1225 single handle shower cartridge, none of them mentioned that if you put it in upside down, the hot will be on the right instead of the left.

I could not find anything on the cartridge itself, the instruction sheet that came with it, or anywhere else that tells you which way it should go in. I (of course) put mine in upside-down and had to pull it all out to reverse it.

I only hope that this helps someone else avoid my mistake. Or, if someone how knows about this part could post a reply to tell the rest of us how to tell which way it up.

Reply to
AGlassman409

Dr. Hardcrab

Describe what the ends look like!?? Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

They apparently look very much alike.

Could it be a half turn off, or 180 degrees.

Reply to
ransley

Did you see them or I miss it? Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Yep, amazing. I've done it both times I've installed the things. The first time I'd replaced the entire mixing valve and thought I'd crossed the hot and cold pipes.

It's mentioned in the instructions that came with the Moen cartridge. You didn't have to pull it, just spin it 180 degrees. The stop is on the knob, so with the knob off it turns all the way around.

Don't care. If it's wrong, just turn it 180. Then put the knob back on. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Just what I did. But I'm a newbie at plumbing and when it came out crossed up I thought I'd really done something terrible.

Thanks for the advice.

- Alan G -

Reply to
AGlassman409

You can’t tell which side is up on the 1200 if you turn the water on and it’s wrong then take the handle off then take a pair of pliers pull the stem out and turn it 180° which is half of a circle to the left And then the hot water will be on the left side and the cold water will be on the right side Because I just replaced my 1200 cartridge yesterday on On 13 January 2021 thank God I didn’t have to pull the whole cartridge out be careful when turning the stem that water can be scolding

Reply to
Afefe10