Mini-split AC systerms? ? ?

Page 2 of 2
On 6/21/2012 5:16 PM, Evan wrote:

I had a Mitsubishi mini split system installed 2 years ago to replace a very noisy and much less effective window air conditioner. I have been extremely happy with the unit in nearly all respects, and have had no maintenance issues so far.
The 2 ton unit I bought runs very quietly, with varfiable speed fans on both in the indoor and outdoor units. The normal operation after the initial cool-down is amazingly quiet.
The window unit it replaced had one end of the area too cold and the other end too warm by many degrees difference. The split system is mounted on a wall in the central area, and spreads the cool area very uniformly both by using a sweeping motorized vane from left to right as well as a sweeping vertical vane to reduce stratification. The uniformity of the temperature is tremendously better.
The initial cost was close to $3500 versus $500 for an installed window unit. The conventional A/C option did not exist since I had no place to hide / place the ducts in this attic area. The mini was a very good solution and I would highly recommend it.
Only disappointments so far:
The remote control is pretty crummy with a marginal user interface for control.
The drain to the outside is hard to get to, and will eventually clog and cause serious problems within the wall unless I have a way to purge it.
The replaceable air filters are expensive, hard to find, and supposedly need to be changed often.

Of course, such absolutes are always wrong. ...but you're good at that.

Wow!
On Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:39:33 AM UTC-5, Ray wrote:

I'd just like to add another option to the discussion: PTAC (motel through the wall units). They are closer to the price of the window units, but closer to the performance of the Mini-split. They don't marry you to a service man, it it breaks, throw it away and get another, (I recently paid $700 to get a central air compressor changed, under warranty, after shopping around, the first guy wanted $1k). The downside is the original install requires a sizable hole in the wall, plus a sleeve and grille, but only once, after that you pop them in and out like toast in a toaster (150lb toast, but still..). They are also a bit ugly, to some, to me they are beautiful, they save me money and keep me comfortable year round. Just make sure to get the heatpump version, they always have a cheaper model with induction heat.