metal roofing question

I'm plan to reroof my house with metal roofing panels over the existing asphalt shingles. Some manufacturers recommend nailing down wood strips and screwing the metal panels to the wood. Other manuf. say the panels can be applied directly to the existing roof covering. Anyone have any experience either way? Thanks in advance

shel007 at fastmail dot fm (change the at and the dot)

Reply to
shel007

I had a Gerard roof put on (paid for by insurance after a big hail storm took out my heavy shake). They put it over the shake but put down 1x4 and

2x2s first. They nailed everything but perhaps not the same type of panels that you are working with:

1x4 vertical on the roof and then 2x2 horizontal and then the panels attached to the 2x2.

HRL

Put the metal on over the wood strips. Screw the wood down too, hit the trusses. Then you will have some wind protection.

Reply to
Greg

Just a guess, but the manufacturers probably have a better idea of what works for their product than any of us here. I'd follow their recommendations. What may be good for one brand, may not be for another.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Speaking from experience. I had a metal roof put over my uninsulated roof (floor insulated), directly over the shingles. Had the same two choices you have - direct or raised on studs. Wish I had spent the little extra. I now have mold problems on the inside wood of the roof due to lack of circulation and the heat/cold issues with a metal roof (condesation). Since the attic is unoccupied, I just leave a window open in the winter for air circulation which has helped lessen the mold. However, I DO NOT regret a metal roof and still love it. No more ice dams, roof raking or weight from snow buildup. And it's not noisy when it rains, either. Sue Northern Wisconsin Envision Whirled Peas

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)

Be sure you use screws, nails usually do not hold well enough.

Reply to
Nick Hull

How do you avoid noise? I was inside a house with fibreglass panels when it rained, it was like living in a snare drum.

Reply to
mbrooks

it rained, it was like living in a snare drum.

Soft water? I don't know, perhaps the additional layers of old shingles. Now, the metal roof on the barn is a whole other story. A light drizzle sounds like a downpour. Sue Northern Wisconsin Envision Whirled Peas

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)