medicine cabinet in wall

We want to have custom made a medicine cabinet (48w x 35h x 4d) to be placed in the wall. One carpenter said regular mirrored doors that swing open are preferable to sliding mirrored doors, and he gave some reasons I found not convincing. What are the reasons for preferring sliding doors? Also, he said European hinges would secure the regular doors--my experience with European hinges has been awful. Why would European hinges be preferred over any other kind?

Reply to
frasercrane

I've had minimal, but good experience with the European hinges. One advantage is they don't require a face frame for mounting and thus, give more open space. Sliders that side don't always slide smooth. They sometimes bump things sticking out inside knocking them off a shelf. I'd prefer an opening style door myself.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Because he is a carpenter and probably doesn't have the tools/expertise to make sliding glass doors work smoothly. That said, sliding mirrored doors without rollers usually don't work that well because the aluminum tracks oxidize in a moist bathroom or the grease gums up.

There are many types of european hinges (made in china) that give great flexibility in how the cabinets are built and how the doors are mounted (overlay, inset, etc.)

A few things to consider: what is in the wall? (plumbing, electrical, ventilation, etc) what is on the other side? (I have an large inset medicine cabinet that made hanging shelves in the opposing closet difficult) having the carpenter build/install the cabinet then have a glass shop come out and install the mirrored sliding doors

Life is too short to settle for things you don't want.

Reply to
RayV