McCain lied on Katrina commission

From Factcheck:

Katrina Kerfuffle

McCain claims he "supported every investigation" into the government's role regarding the hurricane, when in fact he twice voted against an independent commission.

June 5, 2008

Summary

McCain was asked by a New Orleans reporter why he voted twice against an independent commission to investigate the government?s failings before and after Hurricane Katrina, and he incorrectly stated that he had "voted for every investigation."

McCain actually voted twice, in 2005 and 2006, to defeat a Democratic amendment that would have set up an independent commission along the lines of the 9/11 Commission. At the time of the second vote, members of both parties were complaining that the White House was refusing requests by Senate investigators for information.

The McCain campaign accused the Obama campaign of "tired negative attacks" for pointing out and documenting McCain?s gaffe.

Note: This is a summary only. The full article with analysis, images and citations may be viewed on our Web site:

aspasia

A politician lied?!!! Come now say it aint so. Everything that comes out of B.O.'s mouth is gospel....... Well maybe not.

cm

Reply to
CM

Well, if he DID lie, it was for the greater good. It seems as if all the Democrats want to do is "investigate."

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah like the GOP didn't investigate Clinton into the ground. Although I have never understood why people from outside of the agency with an agenda is any different from people from inside the agency with an agenda in the long run.

In our brief national history we have shot four of our presidents, worried five of them to death, impeached one and hounded another out of office. And when all else fails, we hold an election and assassinate their character. P. J. O'Rourk

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

OH, so lying to the American public is allright if a politician thinks it's for their good. Bull Crap. That's why we're in the mess we are today, politicians lying. I want a leader that tells the truth, no matter what it is. A liar is a cheater and we have enough cheats in our government, from the bottom to the top.

Reply to
sanity

Politicians lie. That's what they do.

We're not in trouble because politicians lie, we're in trouble because people believe them.

I'm not naming any names, here.

Reply to
HeyBub

Like "I don't remember whether I used cocaine because ......."?

Choose the correct answer: a. My faith gave me strength to give up alcohol (and it eliminated all recollection of what I did for the 20 years that I was totally plastered). b. I am such a Compassionate Conservative that I forgot my own problems and could think only of the troubles of other people. c. Heck, I snorted some white stuff. I thought it was corn starch and I was on a high protein diet.

I just read the other day that the high-school graduation rate in my county is below 60%. These folks are, or soon will be, voting. And starting families. Like themselves.

Reply to
Norminn

Who cares? The worst part of katrina is the indigents and criminals were transferred around the country

Reply to
bigjimpack

Another "compassionate conservative".

Reply to
Bob F

Sometimes it worked:

I imagine some dude who ended up in, say, Salt Lake City, saying "You mean I just stand behind the counter and make Slurpees? And they give me money? Shit, man, that's cool!"

Sometimes it doesn't:

A Houston police officer tells me not a week goes by that someone doesn't say to him: "What the f*ck! I'm just walkin' in my 'hood with a joint and a malt and you're arresting me?"

We had as many as 250,000 Katrina evacuees here. They've killed each other off at a prodigious rate while an astonishing number have discovered that Texas law enforcement differs significantly from what they formerly experienced.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
bigjimpack
********************************************************8

Exactly how many were put up in hotels for how many years? And where exactly were the hotels?

Reply to
Bob F

Well, here's a report on some from just four days ago:

But they're not too lazy to work; one hotel tenant built a meth lab in his room.

Reply to
HeyBub

Like Barbara Bush (hey, is she Big Jim's mom, too?).

Reply to
KLS

Sure, and although having sex may be natural in the life of humans, conducting it under a white house desk is a little bit unorthodox to getting paid for it while on the job.

Besides, the only way I would put this liberal hosh-posh in a "alt.home.repair" category would be if we consider "Fast-Willy"'s ordeal under "alt.repairing.Slick Willie's marriage.repair here.

Jerry, A Katrina Survivor. thanks!

Reply to
JTT

it under a white house desk is a little bit unorthodox to getting paid for it while on the job.

But wasn't he on the phone at the time? It's called multitasking! Two heads are better than one and all of that. Maybe he worked late the night before and was taking the morning (getting) off.

"alt.home.repair" category would be if we consider "Fast-Willy"'s ordeal under "alt.repairing.Slick Willie's

What about JFK, FDR or Taft? They have to get some of the blame. I mean we _must_ point to the stuff in the past as justification for the screw-ups in the present. It's the American way! Sheesh.

Remember the past and learn from it, just don't live there.

RicodJour