Maytag dishwasher motor trivia question - date code

Hello all:

Just replaced a motor in a Maytag WU 502 dishwasher, which was installed in

1985. Before replacing the motor, I had replaced the pump assembly, which was making horrible bearing noises. Once the new pump was in and the dishwasher was running quieter, I heard some squeaking after ten minutes operation while checking for leaks.

I jumped to conclusions, and thought it was the motor failing, now that the pump wasn't such a drag on it. (Don't know if that makes sense, since it's supposed to be a 3450 rpm motor, regardless of the load?) Turns out it might simply be the belt. Sigh. So the motor I just pulled might be okay - possibly a $140 mistake. (It spins freely when cool, although I thought it was a lot stiffer when hot. But I should have replaced the belt first.)

I vaguely remember fighting those Maytag motor hold down clamps about ten years ago, but can't remember if it was this dishwasher or the Maytag washing machine. If it's a recent motor, I'd like to sell it on e-bay with a good conscience.

Question: It has a MFG. NO. of F85 5. Does anyone know if that's a date code pointing back to 1985, or simply coincidence? How can I tell if it's the original motor?

Thanks,

Mike Palmer < Excellence in Ergonomics

Reply to
MikeremlaP

Hi,

I don't know for sure, but back then the manufactuing date was often on the large ticket items like timers, motors, ect.

Probably is the belt, the pulleys are off set so the belt wears evenly and rolls while going around....so a lube is also used on the belt. Once the lube is worn off the belt gets too hot and squeeks.

round style drive belt used on some belt driven Maytag brands dishwashers. Measures approximately 25-3/8 inches long with a 1/4 inch diameter.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hey Mike,

I'm not sure about the motor date codes either, but those older belt drives were much better DW's than the new so-called 'Maytags'.

As to squeaking, Jeff's right on the money; I'd try lubing the belt before anything else. If it's a new one, it should have come with a little package or two of silicone grease. If not, one of the generic silicone greases, like 'Silglyde'(tm) also work well.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

Acts 4:12

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Is the washer back running properly again? With the original motor?

Any motor will slow down if overloaded. If the bearings are starting to go, it may turn freely when cold, but start to bog down when hot. The pump can also be on the way out and putting a heavy load on the motor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hello Mr. Harnish:

Yeah, stupid me... when I was putting things back together I thought the belt was contaminated with grease as it was a bit "sticky." Took a paper towel and wiped it dry.

Had I not done that, I might be done by now.

Mike Palmer < Job 28:28

Reply to
MikeremlaP

Hello Mr. Pawlowski:

I plan to buy a new belt today... although I have silicon grease and could try that first. (Seems to be a little bow in the belt when it runs. Seems tight on the pulleys, but I wonder if it's stretched at all?)

After I address the belt problem, being the obsessive person that I am, and wanting to know if I was a good steward, I will probably go thru the pain of trying to remove the new motor and install the old one to see how it holds up. (Is there a trick with those clips that I don't know about? They are such a pain to get on, and even harder to get off. I took a Dremel tool and ground a bit on the tang so I don't have to overshoot so much, but it's still very hard to get on and off.)

I hope you're right and that the old motor begins to bog when hot. Then I'll feel justified spending $140 for the new motor. I ran the old motor for a cycle without load (out of the dishwasher) and it runs fine. (Makes a slight clicking sound in one direction. About 1/16" of end play on the shaft.) But of course, it never got hot that way, since it's hardly working and not surrounded by hot water in a tight environment.

To review, this problem started with a known bad pump. It had been making noise for about 4 months. I could see "dirt" in the inspection hole, and the motor has had to fight this all that time. So I assumed I had accelerated the wear of the motor, and that's why I jumped to the conclusion that the motor must have been bad when I heard the squeaking originally.

Mike Palmer <

Reply to
MikeremlaP

Could be. Most do stretch over time.

You may be right.

OTOH, I had a problem with my washing machine. Bought new belts figuring that was the problem. It wasn't. It was much more involved and not worth fixing a 23 year old machine. I went back to the dealer and he took the parts back with 100% credit when I bought a new machine.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski