malfunctioning pressure regulator

i have air leaking out of the pressure regulator knob area. There is a little hole in the knob area where the brass nut fits in. It never use to leak. Also the tank does not recover nearly as fast as it use to. I cant even get one wheel off my car using an impact wrench. I never had a problem with that.It said don't turn the regulator knob when the guage reaches max pressure. I did so. Did this damage the regulator? How can i fix it? thank you. Bob
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:43:09 -0500, rbrittne wrote:

Don't mess with it, replace it.

As another poster said, replace the regulator. Most air system components are relatively simple and can be repaired. That said, I wouldn't recommend that a pressure regulator should be someone's first experience with air system component repair since there is a safety issue.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

On mine, the back screws off, exposing the offending mechanism. I take it apart, and clean and grease where the parts slide in and out. Re-assemble. Problem solved.
Bob