Made in France?

I bought a new item and the company is Trudeau. On the bottom of the package, it says "Fabrique en Chine". I'm thinking Chine is a little town in France that has local skilled craftsmen making quality products.

Damn, wish I had taken French in High School so I'd know where Chine is. If I ever go to France, I'll visit the town

None of that crap from the Orient for me, I'm buying quality from Chine. French, you know.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I believe Chine is French for China (noun) according to my translator

Reply to
JAS

Oui. He knows ;)

Reply to
Frank

I'm sure the OP knows that and was posting facetiously.

There was a story ( don't think it was true) that there was a city in Japan named "Usa"...so products made in Japan could be labeled "Made in USA"

Ironically, after a buy-out I was once employed by the Japanese battery manufacturer "Yuasa" for five years. They made it clear that it would be turned over to another company (American) at the end of the five year period...and they were good for their word.

They gave us Turkey's at Thanksgiving...which none of the American owned companies I worked for ever did.

Reply to
philo

Just a guess but I think Ed knew that :)

Reply to
dadiOH

je suis désolé

Reply to
JAS

It is funny and most people take at face value that such a label means the product was made there.

My wife chides me about buying glasses from Zenni optical at one fifth of what I paid in the US. I show her the US glass case that says, Made in China.

Just looking at some clip on sun glasses Made in USA bought 20 years ago in France for 70 francs which I thought was outrageous at the time.

Reply to
Frank

It's a little town right next to Usa.

Reply to
rbowman

It was actually a company in Montreal, but I though France sounded better for my purpose and twisted sense of humor. Quebec has labeling laws that require bilingual verbiage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Let me guess? They were sold to Italian company, in the north part of Italy. Now the company is called Upper Yuasa.

And the computer company that used to be in Timbuktu. Sold to Mr. Wi San, from Japan. Now the company is called Wibuktu.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ed worked for an underwear company, Western Innovation Corporation. Their motto: The soul of brevity is W.I.T.

"gettin' deep in here"

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which would you say is better - Chinese tools from Harbor Freight, Chinese tools from HD or Chinese tools from France (where the wimmen wear no pants).

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

It really depends on who does the engineering. China is capable of making good quality, but they can still make cheap junk if specified.

Last time I was in Italy my rental car was the French Citroen. I was impressed with all the goodies it had in it. Not so sure I'd buy one though, they do a good job with wine, cheese and bread though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Even though this thread started as a poke at Chine, it did cause me to think about the products Made in France that I encounter. Basically, I came up with your list plus Airbus. But I don't recall actually buying a MiF product. I've bought some flower pots and frying pans Made in Italy where the Italianness is entirely incidental. But nothing like that from France.

Fake ID

I have a copper pot made in France. Mauviel is one brand, but there are a couple of others. Then it is back to the wine and cheese.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Basically,

I would pay up to $200 for certain things from France.

Reply to
Fred James