LX 188 John Deere fuel leak

My carb has a fuel leak somewhere around the float bowl gasket. Put in a blew gasket. Still leaked.

Put in a new fuel line. Still leaked.

Removed the carb. Put in a new float inlet valve. Still leaked.

  1. Difficult to say where it leaks from. Not from the vent tube. Could be the boll seal on the left side of the carb just above the float bowl O ring Does this leak here, happen often?

  1. I made sure the O ring was not twisted and put it on the float bowl first and then tightened the nut below the bowl. Did I put the O ring wrongly? How does one put it on correctly?

Reply to
heartmd

heartmd wrote: ...

... This just caught my eye that I missed earlier (and not knowing the particular model had nothing specific) to offer...but

Generally there should be a machined groove or area in which the o-ring fits. Place the o-ring in place there, then the bowl.

Good chance otherwise to not actually get the ring in proper place or pinch it thereby cutting it, etc., ...

I didn't take time to look up the model in the JD parts to actually look but I'd suggest pulling it back off and reinspecting the o-ring for damage and then look for where it actually fits mechanically. Also double check for any leftover small pieces of either grit/dirt or a previous ring, etc., that may be keeping it from sealing.

Does it leak just sitting with fuel or only while running?

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

OK, I did look...

Put in LX188 in the Model Search box and then go to Fuel and Air in the Sectional Index section for exploded view.

There are three possible carb's shown but only one gasket kit for the LX188 so they're all generically the same as far as size, etc.

But, the o-ring does go in bottom of body as I suspected, put it in that groove first, don't try to balance it on the bowl rim.

Also, is this a real JD replacement part or did you try to find an aftermarket "close enough" replacement? Size might be off just enough if the latter.

HTH...

--

Reply to
dpb