Lowes vs. HD....

Page 5 of 5
Ray wrote:

Year round, or just Veteran's day & Memorial day?
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 16:48:23 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Not so much:
http://ext.homedepot.com/community/blog/veterans-and-active-military-thank-you-for-your-service-employment-opportunities-tribute-discount/
The Home Depot offers a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, at our U.S. stores to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families. We offer this discount to thank them for their outstanding service to this nation and to help make their homes more comfortable and safe. Customers requesting the discount should present a valid military ID.
In addition, a 10 percent discount is also offered in recognition of Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veterans Day at all U.S. Home Depot stores for all other military veterans.
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

http://ext.homedepot.com/community/blog/veterans-and-active-military-thank-you-for-your-service-employment-opportunities-tribute-discount/
The local HD told me they only offer it on the two days I stated, a few months ago.
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:34:55 -0500, the renowned "Mike Marlow"

They have a number to call if you are refused the discount.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I just left, and went across the street to Lowe's.
Mike Marlow wrote:

It has been an on again, off again policy for almost a decade around here. HD's latest change is in response to Lowe's updated policies.
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:34:55 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Right. I'm told that many managers will give it to any vet, anytime, if they ask. Store managers (even department managers) have a lot of leeway.

You musta missed my response to Lew Hodgett..... HD gets it wrong *without fail*.
But, anyway, what would pass statistical muster, in a HD/Lowes comparison, O Statistical Swami??
--
EA

We have two local garden centers that have great service with better quality plants and lower prices than big box.

With both Lowes and HD, I check online to see if 1) they have anything close to what I want and 2) if it's in stock in the myriad of stores in the area. In some cases, I've seen that they had adequate stock online only to get over to a specific store and find that somebody's cleaned them out between the time I looked and my arrival. So I go hit another. Must have at least a dozen of each in the area, three or four on the way home from work. For those items they don't carry or for a quick trip, Ace is closer and has more oddball stuff, usually higher prices, too. I can usually get floor droids to answer my questions at both Lowes and HD, the local HDs were hiring guys with trades experience for floor workers at one time. If you're getting crappy service at HD, complain to the head office. Might be a local management change is needed. And the HDs here have self-checkout, no lines at those, usually. Lowes doesn't, but opens up checkouts as needed.
Stan
Per Stanley Schaefer:

On credit card sales under $50, our HD does not even want a signature.
OTOH, the Lowe's I used to go to has the poorest checkout scheme I've ever seen. Ironically, it is across from Target - which has the fastest, slickest checkout scheme I have seen.
--
Pete Cresswell

with Menards? Although our main shopping is done approximately 40 miles from where we live, there is a Menards and Lowes within three blocks of each other in that community. The closest HD is about 65 miles from my home thus I visit it less often. Of course I have been to all of them many times and Menards is still my favorite by far.....they have a tendency to hire individuals that actually have a clue as to what they are selling.
Don
My Lowe's has stopped selling taps and dies.

I see large truckfulls from The Home Depot being delivered. Got Lowes here, as well as Busy Beaver, 84 Lumber, and others.
Greg