Lowe's inventory records a disaster

Page 2 of 2
On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 8:01:21 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Why shouldn't Lowe's broadcast in a language spoken by the customers they're trying to attract? If they thought it would increase market share, they'd broadcast their commercials in Etruscan.
Next time I see a Lowe's commercial, I'll have to leave the sound on.
Then again, maybe it's because you live in the West.
Cindy Hamilton
On 10/17/2016 3:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Our local home store does just that. They have a strong Etruscan following from a hundred miles around. I've never seen an Etruscan at Lowes or Home Depot, now I know why.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This wasn't Walmart (nothing against Walmart). I don't think the counters were functionally illiterate. Of course, this is 30 years ago...

I remember using an inventory counting service one year and the results were FAR from accurate. The next year we did it in-house - and having a basic understanding of what was SUPPOSED to be in the bins - and making sure we counted what was there as the right part, made for a much more accurate count. 3 days of work over the new-year counting was NOT what I had figured on.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Oct 2016 20:45:32 -0400, "Percival P.

Yes it is. 30 years ago the mainframe installations where I worked updated every night, or twice a day, but they worked things out a few years later to update almost immediately.

That was a good year for maple.

That's a good question. They may be using numbers from the Federal Number Reserve, which only supplies raw numbers and has no method for matching them with existing numbers. Because we use so many more numbers these days, and because 97% of new numbers come from Arab countries (That's why they're called Arabic numbers) with whom our relationship is not always good, the federal government in 1975 established the Federal Number Reserve, in a rarely visited part of the Humboldt National Forest in Nevada. In underground vaults, it holds 32 quintillion numbers, enough to carry us through an embargo of 20 years, if necessary. Some have said we don't need that many and so, for a fee, a few have been made available to private businesses. They can buy a few rather cheaply but the price per unit climbs steeply if they buy more.

I was at Lowes about 10 years ago looking at the kitchen faucets. They had about 15 on display.
But I thought I'd get more details at home so I looked on the computer at home and they had 4.
HD was terrible at that time too, but they may have finally gotten their act together. The webpage shows the aisle and bay for each product, per store, and the two times I've looked, it was right.
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:44:02 PM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Not mentioned is the app you are using. If it knows where you are at at the time of app use (gps) it may be looking at inventory for the 'other' store you were closest to. See what "My Store" is set as.
On 10/17/2016 10:55 AM, Thomas wrote:

It showed me the place-name of the store I was at. And if it had been showing me the wrong store, it wouldn't have reset to zero when the guy in that store set his "number in stock" to zero.
Perce
On 10/17/2016 03:00 PM, I wrote:

I was passing that Lowe's yesterday, so (even though the app. and the Web site still showed that they had none in stock) I stopped in to see whether they had the new stock of maple plywood. None to be seen, so I asked the nearby checkout operator, who told me that *he* could not check whether there was any on its way, and sent me to Customer Service, who told me that there was no record of any having been ordered. I walked back to the other end (which is where I had parked) and told the checkout operator there. He said, "What are they going to do?" to which I replied "Probably pretend that I don't exist."
There are other Lowe's stores farther away that claim (on line) to have stock, but it's not convenient to make th trip at present -- and I would certainly insist that they check the racks to ascertain that they do have stock before I would drive there.
The reason for preferring Lowe's on this occasion is that they will cut the 8x4 sheet into sections appropriate for my needs and that will fit into the car. Menard's has no way to cut plywood sheets, but maybe I'll go there at night, park in a far corner, and cut the sheet down with my 18V saw. I did it once before.
Perce