Low Water Pressure from American Standard Kitchen Faucet

Model: American Standard Silhouette 4771.222
The faucet is about 13 years old. Whenever I turn either the hot or cold handles, the water comes out at a lower rate than usual. However, I can increase the rate of flow by giving the side sprayer a quick squirt and stopping. Why would altering the water's path for a moment do this? Is the side sprayer defective since the pressure is building up inside its line instead of letting it go to the faucet?
--
Perl programming is an *empirical* science!
--Larry Wall in < snipped-for-privacy@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

Take it apart and clean it. My guess there is a piece of crap just below the cartridge and the sprayer moves it away for a while. While apart, replace the cartridge since it is 13 years old.
Could be problems with the diverter, or the aerator. I'd start by unscrew the aerator, and soak it in vinegar, bang it out, look for sediment. That's the easiest part to remove.