loud neighbour

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm having a serious problem, and I was wondering if anyone can help with it. I live in an apartment building. My neighbour below me always invites friends over, plays loud music, etc. I hear him till the wee hours DAILY!!! It's seriously driving me insane! Even after I warn him, he keeps going. My landlord sent him a letter, but as I am writing this e-mail, I can still hear his TV on (he's watching Star Wars). Is there anything I can do to add some sound insulation. My apartment is not very big, the floors are made of wood. Someone please help me!!!
David
In the wee hours, call the police. Again, the next time. Tom

circumstance where the sound travels really well in your building?
Are his speakers on the floor? Suggest raising them up on plastic milk crates - might help a whole bunch. Hell, bring him the crates.
If he actuallt is being loud, knock on his door again and again and keep bugging him to wear headphones. Keep a record. Start calling the cops if he doesn't comply.

You are going to have to grow a spine and help yourself. Go down there and take care of the problem or else get the cops to do it for you. Don't just hide behind your computer and whine about it.

It is fortunate that you are insane, and above him. You might install powerful speakers in the floor, aimed down, with a microphone and an annoying delay, or drill holes and let your sink overflow. Boiling oil and molten lead are more traditional. Do you know any clog-dancing troupes looking for practice space?
Nick
On 22 Nov 2005 03:30:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

The FBI thinks that loud Tibetan Buddhist chants are an effective antidote.
But frankly how much do those wireless transmitter-earphone thingies cost? If affordable buy him a set for Christmas.

OK you went over the line There is nothing wrong with brisk Clog-Dance you should not make fun of something you can't do! CLOG TILL YOU DROP
On 22 Nov 2005 03:30:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

Yeah, I would wait until daytime, when nightowl is sleeping, then play "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter or "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk, at about 130 decibels, with a powerful down-firing subwoofer.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Just go down and knock the shit out of him. Do it every time he wakes you up. If you need help, I'll do it for $500.
Steve
This is Turtle.
Damn your high on the price. Here it is $20.00 ! You sure you don't have any Rock Stars around there.
TURTLE
<<but as I am writing this e-mail, I can still hear his TV on (he's watching Star Wars). >>
I had numerous similar problems with neighbors. My apartment lease had a clause saying that after 10 pm and before 8 am, no noices disturbing to neighbors.
The first incident, I would leave a note on their door explaining that I was sure they didn't realize it, but their television/stereo/video games, etc was keeping me awake at night and please to use use these things at night *at all*. Low volume didn't help, because the sound travels easily through the floor and ceiling.
Typically, this works for a few weeks, at least a little, then they go back to their normal behavior. Another note results in no change in behavior. A complaint to the apartment complex results in another note, which again quiets them down for a few weeks, whereupon they go back to the same behavior. The next complaint from the apartment complex has no effect. The next note says they have X days to comply or they will be evicted. This gets their attention. For a while.
The apartment management told me this pattern is typical.
My advice is that after the first nice attempt to get them to quiet down, be ruthless. Complain to the apartment management after every instance, so that their file is full of evidence that can be used to evict them. Even so, the process could take months...terrible way to live.
Back to your original question, you can find sound insulating techniques and supplies here:
http://www.soundproofing.org /

Yes, it is called "space" or "distance". You add it by buying your own single-family home. This is one reason people find suburbia desirable: separation and privacy from your neighbors. Trying to change your apartment neighbor's habits, or to insulate yourself, do not work.
Some people are happy with close quarters, the rest of us move to the 'burbs.
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:24:34 -0600, Richard J Kinch

Bollocks. I'm in a rural town, and I can hear the Mexicans across the street, even over my own moderately loud music or TV.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:24:34 -0600, Richard J Kinch

If OP owned the apartment, he could probably deal with the problem fairly effectivly with soundproofing. Since he doesn't, he can't. Trying to get the neighbor to change is a good idea only if you enjoy feuding, or are at least very good at it. That leaves moving to an apartment that isn't made of paper mache; getting a white-noise-generator and learning to live with it; or smuggling 5 kilos of coke into the guys rooms when he's not there, and calling the cops.
--Goedjn

Just fry their equipment without entering their apartment.
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for what you do with the information found via the link below; it is for educational purposes only!
Here ya' go!
http://gbppr.trighost.org/mil/herf /
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
The lanlord should take care of it, and call thge police when its late. Or have fun its an apartment so his main fuse or whole panel is in the basement, pull it, he will understand real quick.
You are above him??? Geez you can have LOTS of fun with them.
Nothing like finding out when they sleep taking some speakers, point them down into the floor and start dancing. Make sure to use tap shoes.
Also helps if you do this over his bedroom.
Sometimes the worst thing to do, is to personally confront someone like this who is a constant PITA. If it persists, and you're at your wit's end, drop a dime.
Often, inconsiderate people like this can become irrational, and will do it all the more, once they know it personally bothers you. Either that, or they take revenge upon you in some other form (Keying-vandalizing your car perhaps?) if the cops are eventually called. (Even if it's someone else that calls, you'll automatically get the blame)
If it bothers you, I'm sure it bothers others also in the building.
Generally when the police are called they give a first time warning. The second time they have to come out can usuallyresult in a citation. (Depends where you live I supose) That'll cool their jets.
People nowadays who do this generally have no consideration of others, or other's lives, and seem to feel that you're just dying upstairs for them to turn on their Stereo, so they can entertain you. Usually, this consists of the Du-Rag music, with the boom boom boom.
They live in their own little world, and couldn't give a rat's @ss about you. Mark
I don't think soundproofing would be an option for any tenant. You'd virtually have to call in the Jet Propulsion Labratory (JPL) to entirely shield you from most of these sound systems.
Fighting fire, with fire (Playing your system when you think they're asleep) taking up Drums, Bass Guitar, etc, generally doesn't work, and the tables may turn, and someone will drop a dime on you.
As I said, an anonymous "dime" dropped can sometimes work wonders. If you're confronted about dropping the dime, play dumb like Sgt. Shultz. Never admit it was you. Mark
Earplugs might be the most practical relief until you can move.
I think a nice product for apartment owners would be a device that shuts off the power to an apartment unit if the decibel level exceeds certain levels during certain times of the day for more than a few minutes.
Then, if the jerk want his power back on, he has to talk to the landlord to reset his power with a key. He'll have to explain what was going on.
This would also fix those lovely people who leave for the weekend and decide to leave their alam set.