lost chains on my radiators, any alternatives?

My son pushed the chains that open up my radiators back in through the cover. I can't get to the covers without disconnecting them from the wall. They seem to be plastered in. Is there any other way for me to retrieve them or use some other kind of makeshift thing to keep them open. They can be pushed open from the front through the vents.
With Chain:
http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1971/dscf0554vl3.jpg
Without Chain:
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1480/dscf0555ji5.jpg
entire radiator:
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6412/dscf0557nv5.jpg

Aren't kids great? :) Looks like your best bet is reaching in from underneath if that opening is large enough. Can you feel the end of the chain through that opening?
If it's too small for your hands, how about your son's?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
underneath is a air intake vent like the back of an air conditioner, it doesn't allow me any access.
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

I think you meant registers, sheet metal grilles screwed to the wall with a chain coming out a hole? If they are what I am thinking about, I'm guessing they are just well stuck with multiple coats of paint, sheet rock compound?, caulk, etc. Make sure you have removed the 2 (?) screws. Use a utility knife around the edge where it meets the wall and get a little mad at it. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Thanks Dan, that was it. I suspected it should slide off but it looked so seemless I was worried it was built into the wall. I got the chains out and back in place - now the tough part, how do I keep my son from doing it again?
DanG wrote:

is ordinary bead chain, any hardware store should have fittings. The dookickeys sold to put on the end of lamp or fan pull cords come to mind.
aem sends...

Put a crossbar in the end of the chain so it won't go into the opening. A 1 inch bolt with 2 nuts at the middle of the bolt is one possibility. Possibly cut the head off the bolt. A 6-32 or an 8-32 would probably make a good fit.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353

hole and the vents, if you can see the chain at all. When you get them back out, secure something to the end to prevent them from going back in.
If nothing works, you might be able to make some kind of opening in the cover that can be reclosed or covered without looking bad. Maybe in the bottom.
Good luck, Don Young