Lost a couple of shingles

Howdy,

We had a big wind storm go through a couple of weeks ago and it looks like a couple of shingles got blown off the roof. Looks like the black plastic or tar paper or whatever they put under the shingles is still intact.

Are there any places that sell just a few shingles at a time so I can repair just that part while I contemplate getting the whole thing done?

I''ve never installed shingles before either. Is it as easy as it looks? Just lift up the shingle above it and push it up there as close to even with the other shingles in it's row as I can and nail it in place?

I know the shingles on that part of the house are getting old but I would like to try to make it to summer of even fall before I call a contractor.

David

Reply to
hibb

hibb wrote in news:e90819a9-9848-4a03-bae1- snipped-for-privacy@t7g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

A basic bundle of shingles consists of 1/3 of a square. A square is enough to cover 100 sq ft. You get maybe 23 shingles in a bundle and runs about 20 bucks.

You need to lift the shingle above it to remove the nails from the one you are replacing. Sealing tab must be broken to lift it. Putty knife usually works. You need to remove all 3 tabs (assuming 3-tab shingles) that make up the shingle. There is a minimum of 4 nails per shingle - one on each end and one at each tab intersection.

You need to lift the shingle two rows above the one you are replacing and remove SOME nails - the ones that align with vertically with the shingle being replaced. This is because these nails catch the top of the replacement shingle underneath.

Once you have all the nails out, it should slide out easily. If it doesn't, there may be an extra nail someplace.

Slide the new one in place. Renail all nails removed. Not in same exact hole locations of course. Cover any holes in existing shingles where nails were removed with roof cement. Seal edges of shingles that were lifted with roof cement.

Reply to
Red Green

You could use flashers (8x8 or so piece of metal) if the tabs that came off are over a butt end of the shingle below. Just slip it in under the course above. But unless a friend has some extras, just buy a bundle for about 20- 25 bucks and save the rest for subsequent blowoffs. They'll happen. Tom

Reply to
tom

I don't get it. You call yourself Red Green and you don't mention duct tape even once?

Just kidding. I've been watching the Red Green show for years.

Thanks for the tip. I shore do appreciate it.

David

Reply to
hibb

Thanks Tom.

You are right. If I try to make it through the summer, I will probably lose some more. But if I lose one on the East side where it is really steep, I will be calling a contractor too sweet.

David

Reply to
hibb

Took me a while to work out what you meant to say there. FYI the expression is 'tout de suite' (pronounced 'toot sweet'). It's French and loosely translated means 'pronto', as was your intent.

HTH :-)

Reply to
Aardvark

Probably the easiest to drive around, see where a roof is being installed and ask for a couple shingles. Buy a tube of tar caulk. You may get away with using just the caulk or caulk and tar paper for

6 months, especially if there are no leaks.
Reply to
Phisherman

A small Stanley flatbar works great for removing those nails.

Reply to
The Heath's

Lol, that was quite a typo there. I really did mean to say "toot sweet".

David (Unencumbered by the thought process)

Reply to
hibb

"The Heath's" wrote in news:5NTpl.9441$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

A short handle shingle rake is even better for getting at the nails two rows up that are way under the shingle towards the back, The bend in the rake end is just right where pushing the handle down very little gives lots of up & leverage at the teeth end that catches the nail head without breaking the shingle above.

But unless you've done a roofing project or two you're more likely to have a flatbar. Investing 20-25 for a short shingle rake for just a few nails is not practical of course.

Reply to
Red Green

hibb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c36g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Hmmm, there's an idea. Wide duct tape that comes in autumn brown, desert tan, onyx black, etc.

Unfortunately I don'n get it in NC :-( Used to air all the time on cable in VT where I was like 45mi from Canadian border. It's a canadian show. Picked it up from Montreal.

Reply to
Red Green