Looking for thermostat to operate at near 32F - 0C

Page 3 of 3
On 12-03-2012 01:08, nestork wrote:

Only takes a relay to reverse that.
It would not stay on long, though, and would wear out faster. Thanks to TDD for reminding me of that.
--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.
On 12/2/12 1:58 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Actually found one. I was looking through my memory. Digital controllers start at $50 and go up in price. Many have relay outputs or fairly heavy loads. in searching Internet found a kit. Don't know what op can do. The other thermostat will require ac transformer and suitable relay. Complete systems usually would cost. Here are the two I found.
No specs I found. http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemids6
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Greg
On 12/2/12 7:33 PM, gregz wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
like the OP wants. One here: http://tinyurl.com/cavslpu This one http://tinyurl.com/bl8cjpt almost installs itself.

You beat me to it, They sell them at feed stores in places where they have cold weather.
On 12/2/12 7:33 PM, gregz wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
like the OP wants. One here: http://tinyurl.com/cavslpu This one http://tinyurl.com/bl8cjpt almost installs itself.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Feel like I'm back at work. Ok, found a no brainer.
http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/thermostats-freeze-alarms/thermostats/cadet-plug-in-120-volt-freeze-protection-in-line-limiting-thermostat/p-134238.htm
Greg
On 12/2/12 7:33 PM, gregz wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
like the OP wants. One here: http://tinyurl.com/cavslpu This one http://tinyurl.com/bl8cjpt almost installs itself.

That seems to pretty well cover my specs.
It will unlike some of the other suggestions do it at pretty low cost and ease of install..
Goes one my eval list
Thank you
On 12/2/2012 9:33 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Take a look at this one.
Farm Innovators Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet by Farm Innovators Price:     $12.72
Plugs into a standard 15 amp electrical outlet and turns power on automatically according to outside air temperature Saves money by using power only when temperatures require heating Two receptacles for use with more than one electrical device Turns on at 35°F, off at 45°F Ideal for home and farm applications such as pond de-icers, unheated rooms, pump houses, greenhouses, boats and RV's
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 12/2/2012 9:33 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Take a look at this one.
Farm Innovators Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet by Farm Innovators Price:     $12.72
Plugs into a standard 15 amp electrical outlet and turns power on automatically according to outside air temperature Saves money by using power only when temperatures require heating Two receptacles for use with more than one electrical device Turns on at 35°F, off at 45°F Ideal for home and farm applications such as pond de-icers, unheated rooms, pump houses, greenhouses, boats and RV's
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Then you need to make it come on *before* 32F. how much before depends on the difference between the heat loss of the room and the BTU/h of the heater.
You might get away with a light bulb or two left on. That's what we used in an uninsulated well house and it survived 10 below zero with a 100 watt bulb.

You might have to cob it to 'plug it in' - but there are line voltage thermostats that do 40F for $25-30.
Hmm-- Here's a greenhouse therm- 30F-110F - $50- plug in. http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls.shtml
Jim

Tried that, but I would like to reduce wasted electricity as much as possible, so I want to produce as much heat as possible for the current used. Electricity is getting pretty expensive where I am. And it's bound to get higher as more coal power plants shut down

Wow Thermostatic outlet for either heating or cooling
That seems to fit the bill even though the upper range is higher than I would like
I'll keep this as a fall back, if I can't find something that doesn't go that high
Thanks

Google "Frost stat" eg:- http://www.uk-plumbing.com/frost-thermostats-honeywell-frost-thermostats-c-220_268_269.html?gclid=CImolfjq_rMCFe7MtAodylcAUA
Thanks to all who responded
Have my shopping list set.